55gal AGA

[quote=“matchu627, post:58, topic:1646”]
dude, im not bashing anyone, idk if you guys just have an issue with me cuz im new, but everytime i post a COMMENT or my own OPINION on this site, you always jump in my face about it! whatever guys, you win! im outtie. buy your fish from wherever you want to, i was only tryin to help![/quote]

The first time, you advised a newer member to add copper to his reef (deadly) to kill off copepods (beneficial). The second time, you labeled an entire store (that has made drastic improvement under new ownership-and the only one within 50 miles) as having sick fish. If you don’t wanna get jumped on, you might reconsider how you dispense advice. I am happy to see new faces here, especially in the Dover area because we are pretty few down this way. I also want to make sure that the new faces don’t offer bad advice, or state ideas that are just not true. I hope you stick around and keep posting, it’s always best to see both sides of the story.

[quote=“matchu627, post:58, topic:1646”]
dude, im not bashing anyone, idk if you guys just have an issue with me cuz im new, but everytime i post a COMMENT or my own OPINION on this site, you always jump in my face about it! whatever guys, you win! im outtie. buy your fish from wherever you want to, i was only tryin to help![/quote]

Well technically, you have yet to offer up an opinion. What you have been offering to this point is something that resembles facts - unfortunately your facts are wrong. And we can not, in good faith allow bad information to remain without calrificatiion or rebuttal as someone will end up trying your advice and causing serious harm to their tank because of your OPINION.

We love to have new people around here, keeps things fresh and interesting, however we have a responcibility to make sure good, sound advice is being offered. Bashing a LFS publicly is just bad form from a club (or a club member) doing so to one that sponsors this board is outright rude. The LFS are the ones that sponsor the club and give us the means to be able to afford this luxury and library of knowledge.

I hope you decide to stick around, and realize it has nothing to do with you being new, just inexperienced. Once you learn a litle more about the hobby and it’s intricasies you’ll start seeing "+1"s after your posts as people will more readily agree and support your opinions and ideas, it’s just important to make sure that advice is sound and good advice.

honestly, it seems like in the last few months, good perc’s (occi’s) are hard to find. i dunno if it’s the “turbo” breeding of them since the movie? or what the deal is, but they definately are not as hardy as they used to be. maybe some locally bred specimen may be the best bet… (chris-barb) but either way, ABSOLUTELY let the fish sit in the lfs for a few days minimum. and always ask to see the fish eat… i know it’s a pain, esp. with something that may seem like a “staple” fish like occi’s. but either way, u r paying your hard earned money for them. make sure they are gonna last. unfortunately, like ento said, waiting usually means u miss the “cool” or “new” stuff that may of just come in. but whatever u do end up getting will have a better chance for survival.

[quote=“Jocephus, post:57, topic:1646”]
LFS bashing is no good. [/quote]

esp. a LFS that has done a few “favors”, and gone out of their way for u…
(sorry, had to drop my 2 pennies)

p.s.
sorry for the HJack billy. btw, the tank seems to be coming a long nicely. if these things r growing/ spreading/ breeding/ etc, i guess things r goin ok in there. GolfC

So a small piece of rock that I got from my little brother, less than 1lb live rock that is covered with coralline algae, now has about 6 or 7 what I am assuming are feather dusters on the bottom of it. I will try to get a few pictures of them, but they are pretty small right now, and in bad spot to get a good pic.

Ah!! The hunting fever is upon you.

Next thing you know, you will get a little LED flash light and a big magnifying glass so as you can watch the little creatures of the night scurry about the sand bed after dark!

All the best folks do!!

Haha… Actually, I alread have an LED headlamp that I use for hunting in the woods in the evening during the fall and winter. And at night before I go to bed, I normally take it and if i see something out of the ordinary I will put it on its lowest power setting and scan around looking… Just need to find a red lense for it. HAHA

Where do you hunt in DE?

A few places actually, My family has about 130acre farm west of Felton that I do a lot of deer and small game hunting on. My in-laws own close to 1000 acres total in 3 farms up west of Clayton, and my cousin and I do a lot of waterfowl hunting down at the Prime Hook Refuge.

Nice, I’ll look you up in the fall. I usually hunt a few hundred acres outside Greenwood for deer. I’m not really into bird hunting, but I may try it soon. Do you see anything with size in Felton?

Here’s the one I shot last fall…

Yea, we see some decent deer. The state record typical that was killed a couple years ago was killed about 5 miles from my family’s farm, near the Petersburg C&R Center. The state record non-typical was killed less than 5 miles from my inlaws farm up in Kenton by my wifes cousin, guy by the name of Sean (sp?) Cooke.

Here is a pic of a buck I killed 2 years ago with a bow.

It was actually my first buck I had taken in about 5 years worth of hunting, and my first ever (and still the only) deer I’ve taken with a bow. Here is another picture of it with a better shot of the rack.

More Pictures…

Here are a couple of pictures of the feather dusters I think.

They are kind of blurry, but my macro lens hates taking these pictures through the glass on my aquarium so I am trying to manually focus it free handed… fun fun.

Yes they are feather dusters.

They will occasionally pop up, then die off, then pop up, then die off, then pop-up… over the next 15-20 years or so.

Cool.

And I once again seem to have an infusion of hydroids in my tank again… There are hundreds now, all over my glass, especially the back glass. At what point should I start to get worried about them becoming a big pest and figuring out a way to get rid of them?

When they have color, be concerned. The clear ones are usually no cause for alarm.

Nice deer, BTW.

ok… so where r the hydroids coming from??? anyone? maybe from a rock or sumthin? (just never had them in any of my tanks, so i am curious)

Usually off fresh live rock. If you cure it for long, or if it comes from an established tank, you usually don’t see them. I got my rock from Dr Mac, and it was pretty fresh. I had some for a week or three, but they go away without assistance.

Yeah, this last rock did come from Dr. Macs. I don’t think it was fully cured, but it was within a few days of being fully cured. Regardless, as of right now, I have a few hundred I think, by the looks of it. But, I keep wiping them off with the mag float hoping my skimmer will eat em up.

My other issue that I am having is with some green hair algae. I have been hand pruning it like melev’s guide says to, but I dont think I have the correct type of snails to really take care of it. So, I think within the next couple of days, I am going to go up to the LFS and pick up a few astrea/turbo snails to help my Cowry.

The cowry spends most of his time underneath of a rock, and even late at night when I get up and take a peak at it, he is still under that same rock, just in a different position, so as of right now, he doesn’t seem to be doing his job.

absolute best thing i have found is long spine urchins, BUT… they will devour ALL algaes, including coraline. so if u dont have any algae u dont want him to eat, they r the greatest. maybe u can RENT one. pick it up for a few weeks just to clear up current issues, then trade him off to someone or trade it back to the lfs when he is done. or when u start seeing coraline growing, so’s he dont munch on the good stuff.

Yeah, I dont need anything eating what little bit of coralline algae I have… :slight_smile:

As of right now, I just keep hand pruning it, and putting the snails I have on the rocks that have the hair algae on it. Imma give a couple of turbos a try, i’ve read that they help control the hair algae, as long as its manageable, and as long as I keep hand pruning it, it should be manageable. We will see. I will be in on Thursday BJ. :slight_smile: