clam death issues when under 2"? 4days and its gone but others live on.

[quote=“JustSumGuy, post:20, topic:4481”]
I put it on the sand bed. Next time I might put it under a somewhat shaded area so its not so intense.[/quote]

any lights off time, and then gradually addition at all? or was it full on lights right away?
like a said, not sure how much it matters, but guessing by your light setup you could have sinificantly more par then what it was used to when you got it… a little too much light to quick, combined possibly with too much flow… i could guess all day… also, i’m not sure how good these guys would respond to an investigative nip by a large fish…(another possibility )
ex when i brought home my short lived cowfish a month or so ago, it went straight to my 3 1/2’’ squammy, and took one good bite in the middle of its mantle… it took days before it opened all the way again… a big exploratory nip, on a lil’ clam might be enough to call it curtains too…again, just speculating

[quote=“JustSumGuy, post:20, topic:4481”]
I put it on the sand bed. Next time I might put it under a somewhat shaded area so its not so intense.[/quote]
Just to throw another curve ball

There was no nip marks.

The lighting issue I figured it as this in the store tank ruff figure they have 200w over that tank the lights are probably closer to the tank then mine and shallower. I have more wattage higher lighting fixture and I put on the bottom.

Could be the issue this was the only thing I could come up with personally.

Rosti that is a good video gives you information not many know. As the mentions about the bissel gate mine was still fairly small and attached to gravel.

Rosti 

Was a good video, the clam but as I call it should always be inspected prior to purchase. Aqua cultured clams are usually removed properly. A wild caught clam can be 50/50 removed properly mainly like the guy in the video stated the maxi and the croces mount and burried into the rocks and it's hard to get them out, I've seen the whole gland ripped out before , if the bissel threads are cut to close and the gland gets cut it will be a good chance the clam will suffer or even die.

so with a big gape like the crocea it should attach preferably on a rock if it doesn’t attach it means it’s not happy, is that what you guys got from the video?

They do prefer to be on rocks , if your having a problem getting it to stay since they bounce around like jumping beans sometimes, try put in on a small rock on the bottom and see if it will attach to that then you can epoxy the small rock to a big one. Very rarely have I seen a derasa or a squammy on a rock. I’ve done it but they never attach but kinda stay there.

I am new to clams too the maximas attach to rubble almost immediately i had the crocea the longest it was up on the rocks and fell a few times so i put it on the bottom. It has never attached to anything it just leans sideways i put rubble under it and it won’t attach

Try a larger flat rock and maybe put a little sand over it. You may need to put something on each side of the clam to help it stay there. Theres a neat video that shows how much they move and it's crazy.

it was on a flat shelf piece with rocks of similar size to the clam and it was in a dip but still moved it looks ok but seems from the stories i’ve heard looking ok can go bad in days.

Looking good can go bad overnight.

for sure thats what i have heard, makes me second guess clams in the tank, they look so good though. I’ll blame moliken lol if my clams die he’s the reason i got into them.

[quote=“billrob71, post:30, topic:4481”]
Looking good can go bad overnight.[/quote]
or hours!

Let me tell ya I’ve had so many over the years and could never see my tanks without them. Although my wife took my good ones for her tank, I’ll have one show size in the new tank and a bunch of smaller ones.

Theres just so many things that can mess with them. I lost alot to a nasty flat worm not that long ago. Had a marine biologist tell me yeah there nasty but he never saw more the 2 in anyones tank. I pulled a dozen or more out. >::: The new set up will be different cause I’m nuking the rock I have and starting from scratch. I’d rather do that and let everything cycle again rather then take another risk. The last clam wave I had there was 29 clams in my tank, with sizes from 1 inch to 7 inches.

[quote=“moliken, post:32, topic:4481”]

[quote=“billrob71, post:30, topic:4481”]
Looking good can go bad overnight.[/quote]
or hours![/quote]

Yep but I usually shut the lights out and go sulk in the corner cause usually can tell it’s coming verdict_in

My Derasa has never attached to anything or show that it has feet. My Crocea has attached to a few rocks or so and I was able to get it off without causing any harm. I thought in one of my previous readings I have read that once the foot gets torn it does not grow back. Is this correct?

Torn ::thinking:: not sure if it will heel

That gland is such a major part of the clam, it is attached to the main muscle of the clam. I don't have that answer, I'll do a little diggen and see what I can find out.

[quote=“billrob71, post:36, topic:4481”]
Torn ::thinking:: not sure if it will heel

That gland is such a major part of the clam, it is attached to the main muscle of the clam. I don't have that answer, I'll do a little diggen and see what I can find out.[/quote]

Knopp says on pg 72, “…the byssal organ itself can be easily injured. Such an animal is doomed and will never recover.”

The question becomes was it the foot (or byssal organ) that was torn or the byssal threads?

I was always under the impression that byssal threads could be cut to remove a clam from a rock and they would regrow. Granted my crocea never reattached to anything after removing form a rock once.

[quote=“Cdangel0, post:38, topic:4481”]
The question becomes was it the foot (or byssal organ) that was torn or the byssal threads?

I was always under the impression that byssal threads could be cut to remove a clam from a rock and they would regrow. Granted my crocea never reattached to anything after removing form a rock once.[/quote]
as usual craig is correct. if injured/cut, the foot will not heal, and the gland that produced the threads will not heal. the actual byssal threads are just like our fingernails, except they are formed soft and harden very quickly. they can be cut easily. when done right, it feels like a hot knife through butter, very simple, just must make sure not to cut anything else. that sureness is done by tilting the clam away from the cut. it will withdraw everything but the threads.you snip, cut, slice, done.

Am I understanding this right? When the bissel threads are cut they can not heal. Are they considering the foot just the tissue thats on the bottom or including the threads that the clam uses to attach itself to the rock?