Garage frag tank

Here are the pics. REMINDER: I am having temp problems with this high heat that we are having right now. And John, there are no steps to get to this room, just go right thru the garage.
As you can see in the pics, I am using a very small fan right now, upgrading today to a larger dual
fan.

The perfect, low cost DIY system. Sterilite trays, tubs and some tubafours and blocks. Old Leroy at GARF would be proud of you! but like you said, with a closed garage and no venting, the heat and humidity builds up fast and molds the room. indoors the house AC takes care of it. i have a 110 koi tub out on the patio. it gets sun from 10 AM to about 4 PM, and this week the water temp has been hitting 93 when it was 97 outside. then i do a little water change. fish dont seem to mind though. just not sure how high they can go. my water is crystal clear this year. so that helps them.

Thanks Ken, this setup is now in a room on the back of my garage, which has 2 windows and an overhead fan. The room is fully insulated and there was no temp problems all winter long. May be also thinking about trying T5 lighting instead of M/H.

Sorry i haven’t chimed back in, was w/ out power for a day and a half, and no internet phone or cable for another 1 1/2… …sucked! i’ll update my setup plans later!

try to get some input.

Sorry i missed the BBQ!

It’s now a bedroom frag tank. The heat out there is brutal ! Heres what i’ve got so far… (a built in stand, drilled the dt, and made the sump) , just have to make an overflow box now… almost ready for water.

Ah, You have been busy. I think you will find there is nothing quite like the constant sound of a water fall in the bedroom to lull you to sleep… right up to the moment you wake up thinking there’s something over flowing somewwhere in the house. i do it all the time even with the tanks in the dining room… but its cool.

http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/1265499-diamond-waterfall-st-lucia-sound-effect

Some more progress, overflow installed and tested…nice and quiet! and i checked it using a 800gph pump( only gonna run around 300-400) had to re-seal the 30g, had a small leak, so i scraped all the silicone and re-did it all…PIA.

Nice work John. really like that over flow box. How did you make it?

Thanks, i was going to make a box from scratch, but then a friend dropped off a part of a hang on box, so i just drilled some holes in it to match the glass. I still want to try making one sometime. I feel like i cheated, but it was free, and it turned out working good.And i dunno if i’m gonna get a nice water sound in the bedroom, i couldn’t hear it at all (at least while testing it in the backyard)

That’s great, looks good. My only suggestion to you would be later on you might want to swap out those clear hose lines to black ones. Over time the clear will get build up on the inside. Good luck with the new setup.

[quote=“houndsbayman, post:30, topic:3072”]
Over time the clear will get build up on the inside. Good luck with the new setup.[/quote]

Easy solution to that problem is to wrap the clear lines in black electrical tape. It prevents light from getting in and causing algae to grow in the tubes.

Got the fuge light mounted, turned out nice. it has a 5’’ height, that leaves a fat inch between the light and top of the sump, and i covered/insulated the exposed wire/mounts with silicone just to be safe. And just as i was plugging it in for a test, the ups man showed up! This ro machine is heavy, and it doesn’t even have water in it yet. looks sweet though! can’t wait to make some water… kids Dr. appt’s in a while, dunno how much i’ll get done tonight.

New R.O.D.I. installed and flushing out as we speak. It was a very easy installation…great directions, and they even put little i.d. tags on all the fittings. This thing makes my old ro look like a toy!

I had to change the main drain line to 1’’ instead of 3/4, other than that, plumbing is good, and quiet. Its filled and running. I still need to organize the rats nest of wires, and trim and box everything in. now all i need is some liverock.

Looks real nice John

Looking good. Since this will be a frag tank do you plan on putting egg create shelves in or going with a rock pile?

Thanks guys, i’m glad my only design flaw was fixed by swapping out one hose for a bigger one. It only took 10 mins, and a trip to Lowes for a 1’’ valve and hose. As far as what to put in… i plan on both rock and crate. hopefully make it look cool. and allow for some grow out room, and a rubble rock tray… still thinking bout it.

It’s a pretty nice set up. Rubble rock tray probably best in fuge or on an as needed basis. Left in for long and it will build up sediment and detritus. Do you plan on running the filter sock continuously or on a as needed basis. Going to set up an ATO?

Thanks again, i did plan on running the sock, its the only mechanical filtration other than a small skimmer, have to see how it goes, but i figure the sock will catch stuff, like my wifes hair and anything else, it’ll get a wash weekly like my 125’s sock. And i do have a gravity fed ATO that i’m gonna use, i bought it for the 125 before i realized how much water evaporates with all those t-5’s (1-2g per day)… anyway, i’m going to put some chaeto in today, maybe steal a piece of l/r out of the 125 too…

Harvested some chaeto from the 125, and put in a small l/r w/ yellow polyps, a little rock with some devils tooth paly’s, and 2 dime size caps…purple, green.
everythings happy so far. And the wife’s brilliant simplistic idea, after watching me fail at making an elaborate sock holder… just a magnet…works great, just glued half to the back of the sump, the other half goes inside the sock near the top.