NEW LFS!

Is this for the 75? What is you budget? I could make you one at cost for the wood.

Can I have it when you’re done with it ?? I’ve be searching and searching for one just like it … :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“ronert, post:22, topic:914”]
Can I have it when you’re done with it ?? I’ve be searching and searching for one just like it … :P[/quote]
That’s just wrong

Haha man you guys are just…not nice lol.

This is my temporary setup for the 55 until the 75 is up. My dad and I are in the process of making a nice hood for the 75, but thanks for the offers. Check out my tank build page.
http://delreefclub.org/smf/index.php?topic=806.msg8530#msg8530

Ted I’ll make sure you get it when I’m done with it lOl. I’ll even remove your current hood/light setup and install that one for free!

[quote=“IanH, post:24, topic:914”]
Ted I’ll make sure you get it when I’m done with it [/quote]

Now THAT suprises me. I thought for sure there was a trailer nearby that had a 2’x4’ hole in the wall that was waiting to get your “hood” back.

Saint:)

lOl lOl lOl lOl lOl lOl lOl lOl

LOL! lOl They can find something else to patch that hole!

how do i know if my tank has aiptasia ive heard its a small anemone like thing and well i just set up this 90 gallon and i got an anemone growing out of the sand… idk if its aiptasia or not but it surely looks like the aiptasia that was in my friends tank…

Look it up online:

www.melevsreef.com

If it is, gently remove it and any sand around it from your tank. Do not try to kill it in the tank if you don’t have to.

well right now i have nothing in the tank but water… and well i just looked 2day and it was kinda just sitting there growing from teh sand… anything else that would look like that that could be growing from the sand? friend is coming over today and he will take a look at it 2 tell me if it is or not

Picture?
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=aiptasia&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Where would it have come from? No rock in the tank yet? Did you buy the sand as Live Sand or get some from another reefer? I can’t think if anything that would just randomly grow from the sand that would look like aptasia.

Try getting a pic up for us. Even a bad one will provide more info then none.

the sand was already in the tank it is a used 90 gallon i got a pic on my cell phone its a really bad pic tho waiting for myself tog et it in e-mail

here is the pic

aiptasiapossibly.bmp (352 KB)

If the sand was already in the tank and the tank used to be filled to the rim with an assortment of LR bought from some reefers to sell to other reefers then odds are slim you didn’t have some sort of pest in the tank. Unfortunately it can be just as easy or even easier to get pests from other reefers then from LFS. Our tanks are collections of random animals from all over the planet from many different reefs. Often times people buy corals which are already stressed and die off, but the rock remains with all the critters on it. Aptasia will not only live, but reproduce and over grow most other photosynthetic animals in a reef tank. Why doesn’t this happen in the wild you ask? Predation.

As Craig said, try to remove the said around the area it is in. Keep a close eye on exactly where it is as it will burry down in the sand and disappear. If you end up getting some on rocks you can chemically burn it with many different products in your LFS or provided by many of our sponsors. One of the products which will kill aptasia is Kalkwasser. You must be carefully to use only small amounts of this in you’re tank as it will change the chemistry in your tank slightly. Add about half a spoon full to a small container then add 1-2 spoon fulls of RO water(or tap wouldn’t be the end of the world). Mix up the slurly. Kill your flow for a little while(unplug power heads, filters, and return pumps). Then using a syringe(like those which come with test kits) to lay a small pile of the slurry onto the top of the aptasia. If it retreats into a hole just lay a slurry down into the hole and above it. Return the flow to normal after 10 minutes. A water change afterwards may not be a bad idea. Keep an eye on things and consider purchasing some peppermint shrimp to eat any of the little ones which might pop up again.

Note, not all peppermints will eat Aptsia and they most often will not eat very large ones. I personally think a combination of chemical and biological works best to illiminate this pest as well as proper quarantine of new animals. It is a lot easier to kill off a pest in a 10-20 gallon bare bottom tank then it is in a 75 full of rock, substrate, and other animals which you don’t want to kill.

Just my two cents. I’ve killed hundreds of these little pests in the past and have NONE of them in any of my tanks.

Hard to tell, but likely apstia. What type of sand is that???

Tough to tell from the pic but I would say definitely remove it from the tank. I think your first suspicion was right on the money.

[quote=“Gordonious, post:36, topic:914”]
What type of sand is that??? [/quote]

That was going to be comment #2. The sand doesn’t look right. I don’t know if it is just old, a mixture of different types of sane or what, but it doesn’t look well.

Have you thought about putting a fresh sandbed in before you get too far along with this set-up? Play sand is very cheap, and you can keep a couple cups of your current bed to seed the new stuff.

yeah i didnt think the sand looked right was possibly thinking of buying all new bags of live sand with my discount but i thought the sand woulda still been fine and it looked fine until it all settled and got that slimy coat

what about if i got a new bag of live sand and a bag of play sand?