sump/refug help

Thanks Ken! We have the plugs labeled already. Was thinking about putting a couple of shelves in there for the power strips and accessories. Also going to add some sand and a small powerhead to the fuge to help tumble the macro algae around.

Jason I would love a bigger tank! Plan on getting one at some point. I keep looking on craigslist for a steal! I started with a 55 thinking I would be happy with it then upgraded to the 90 again thinking it was plenty big enough. Still not satisfied!!! One of these days I will have a bigger one.

There you go!

Doin Good!

Thanks Ken. Now if I can just get my water parameters stable so I can start adding livestock to my tank.

Really good job on the refugium Karen (and helper)! It doubles as a “time out” for trouble makers too.

What kind of parameter problems do you have? do you mean the nitrogen cycle? if so, add bacteria starter every few days until it settles out. I think Microbe-Lift Nite-Out and SeaChem Stability are good. Other parameter problems are just chemical. test and dump addatives.

Thanks Scott!

Ken my nitrates are extremely high still =( still working on trying to get them down.

Water changes will get them down! As long as the water doesn’t have nitrates

yeah i have been doing water changes. I have a brand new RODI system. TDS reading at 0!!!

Even water changes can take a little while. Keep plugging away. If nitrate is 100 ppm and no additional is put in (theory only- we need to feed fish) a 25% water change brings it to 75ppm, then 56, 42, 31, 23, 17, 13, 10, and so on. So if you did this weekly it would take 2 months to reach 10ppm from 100ppm. This is why many employ multiple methods such as algae scrubbers, refugiums, bio pellets, vodka or sugar dosing. Keep in mind this is theory and many other factors are in play. De-nitrification from live rock, sand bed, feedings, skimming, and other filtration have a huge impact. But I’m just trying to show the importance of keeping up on those water changes to keep reducing the nitrate. The new fuge will help a bunch once stuff is growing. If you use a filter sock, keep it clean. Removing gunk before it can break down will keep the gunk from becoming nitrate in the first place.

[quote=“Scottman81, post:49, topic:6777”]
Even water changes can take a little while. Keep plugging away. If nitrate is 100 ppm and no additional is put in (theory only- we need to feed fish) a 25% water change brings it to 75ppm, then 56, 42, 31, 23, 17, 13, 10, and so on. So if you did this weekly it would take 2 months to reach 10ppm from 100ppm. This is why many employ multiple methods such as algae scrubbers, refugiums, bio pellets, vodka or sugar dosing. Keep in mind this is theory and many other factors are in play. De-nitrification from live rock, sand bed, feedings, skimming, and other filtration have a huge impact. But I’m just trying to show the importance of keeping up on those water changes to keep reducing the nitrate. The new fuge will help a bunch once stuff is growing. If you use a filter sock, keep it clean. Removing gunk before it can break down will keep the gunk from becoming nitrate in the first place.[/quote]

Thanks Scott. I will keep up with the water changes. The nitrates are still reading high. Dark enough that it is not registering on the color card but it seems to be night quite as dark as it was. The fish were starting to look a little bad but they seem to be bouncing back. Corals seem to be little a tiny bit better. The only ones that really seem affected by it is the zoas

Karen, if you want a little assistance lowering nitrates until you refugium really kicks in, check out AZN03. I used this before and surprisingly it works and fast. My nitrates use to be off the charts in my 65 some years back and a very reputable store I use to visit back in MY suggested I try it and wow.

Just my :TWOCENTS but be very careful when adding any chemicals to your tank.
After all the money spent on chems, it is safer to just get into doing water changes. Not trying to say anything bad about using chems, just use with caution!! ::thumbsup::

[quote=“houndsbayman, post:52, topic:6777”]
Just my :TWOCENTS but be very careful when adding any chemicals to your tank.
After all the money spent on chems, it is safer to just get into doing water changes. Not trying to say anything bad about using chems, just use with caution!! ::thumbsup::[/quote]

Totally agree. This was the only Chem I used for nitrate and only used it (WITH CAUTION) to bring down my nitrates from over 100ppm. This was years ago though. Now my refugium does the work for me.

Thanks guys. I think they are coming down a little. Still reading off the chart but doesnt seem to be as dark in color. Doing another water change this weekend.