The 180 is up and running!

Everything is doing well! Thanks for asking!

1 Like

flat worms …ugh!! Went from the second picture to the first over night. Got all the ones I could find off and brushed the eggs off and dipped. Gonna have to treat the tank to make sure I get them all…

Oh no!!! Might be worth setting up a coral quarantine tank!

Might be if I had a space…

Not sure but I am holding g a bunch of lps for a buddy who seemed to be having mysterious tank issue and after about a week I. The tank I have noticed these flat worms. I did dip the pices before I added them but I have red that the eggs are not affected by the dip. It seems to be isolated to his pieces and my one wall hammer though and i pulled Then all out and dipped them and brushed and scraped the eggs I found off of them. Not really sure I want to use the flat worm exit I bought after reading it doesn’t work well with the larger pinkish tan eefw which is what I am seeing.

That stinks. Did you try to dip again? Did the the initial dip help? I’m sure a melenarus or six line wrasse may help eat them but that is probably not a permanent solution. If it makes you feel any better I have had the smaller version of the red flatworms in two separate setups and they eventually die off as long as you keep your nutrients in check. Your tank looks great so that doesn’t appear to be a a problem. Keep us posted.

Yeah my nutrients are not high really nitrates are 10 and phosphates are .03. I will keep you guys updated.

I did get a few off of each pieces with the dip but, I am certain there are more in the tank at this point. I put his pieces in 2 weeks ago and on the initial dip I got 2 worms off all the pieces but I guess I didn’t notice the eggs at that time. Now that I am looking for them specifically and know that the dips don’t really affect the eggs I have been looking for them more closely. The problem is they are so close to the tissue of the corals it’s hard to scrape or brush them off and avoid the tissue. I suppose I will get it under control bit I am afraid it may be too late for that wall hammer. I really love that piece.

Maybe try a corris wrasse?

1 Like

The Tank is bare bottom not sure where I would put a sand container with 3 gyres running on the tank. But I am considering it.

I used exit on my tank and it worked really well. I did it once and then again 2 weeks later because if any egg are there they will all be hatched by then. Your right they do not effect the eggs. Had no problem. Just have carbon on hand. I ran 2 reactors full of carbon about 30-45 minutes after putting in the exit. Ran them for about 12 hours To take out the toxins the flatworms give off when they die. I siphoned off as many flatworms as I could before using the exit

Mike did you have the typical small reddish brown eefw or the larger pinkish colored ones? I am reading exit doesn’t work on these pink ones I have.

Also do you remember what carbon you used? I don’t keep any on hand and have to buy some. Also I only have one spare reactor and I know it won’t hold the recommended 4 pounds of carbon I need to run. So gonna have to figure that out as well.

Small Brown ones. And the carbon was Marineland Black Diamond.

I have plenty of reactors you may use. Not a problem

Doing it now using same carbon and borrowed some already thanks though. There are a ton but no brown ones