225 GALLON (slow) TANK BUILD

225 GALLON (slow) TANK BUILD

This is just a little teaser pics of what’s to come…my 225 gallon build, 72X24X30. It’s not the 300 gallon DD dream tank that I would like to have, but it will be my dream build.

I’ve been gathering up all the necessary equipment over the winter…and still doing so, just few more things to get. I’m taking my time to build this tank. I wanted to build it properly from all the years of learning in this hobby and doing it right the first time. So, lots of research.

This will be mainly SPS tank. I will do my best not to put any softy in this tank. If any, it will be those that I already have in my 120g tank. However, even some of those will be up for sale or trade when I’m ready to transfer all of the content from my 120g to my new 225g.

The tank layout will have only the rocks from the 120g. I don’t want this to be a rock tank rather it will be a coral tank. Plus I want lots of head room for the acros to grow.

This will also be my first time attempting at DSB. I know there are lots of people out there that are against it because they had bad experience keeping up with it. I think with researching and my experience with reef keeping I will be okay with it. I will never know till I try it myself. I also know it’s a big step doing it with a large tank as well, once again I will never know till I try it myself.

Also one of the reasons why I went DSB route was after I saw the video of Rosti’s 150g DBS tank. I never saw his actual tank, but what I saw in those videos that he posted in his tank build thread, it really impresses me and of course I was sold on DSB from there.

TANK EQUIPMENT AND BUILD:

Its 225g long 72x24x30” tank with 3x1” hole drill for Bean Animal style over flow on the left end of the tank like peninsula style. 24” glass C2C internal weir over flow L box.

5” DSB, 350 lbs oolith sand with the regular reef floor sand from the 120g on top.

40” tall hand build stand with lots of room underneath for the sump with elevated skimmer and other stuff that will fit underneath.

No hood. I don’t like hood on my tanks.

75g sump with 2 or maybe 3x7” filter sock compartment, bubble baffle dividers, along with water changing compartment. I can do water change without having to turn off the return pump.

20gH refugium. Tank will be elevated little higher than the sum. Drill with 1” hole with bulkhead to be over flow back into the sump/pump area. The reason for the elevation is that there’s no room for sump and refugium connection.

MAG 24 rated 2400 gph return pump with 1” George Fisher Wye Check Valve

ATB standard cone skimmer. Not sure of the model, maybe 1260 or 1050

DIY LED lighting. Still researching on the issue.

Any questions, comments, constructive criticism are all welcome. Will post pics and updates as it comes

Sounds great…following. A couple of ideas you might consider: place some starboard on the bottom before you add your foundation rock, then add some PVC pipe/fittings under the rock to add some caves, and a strategically placed PH or two will add some flow, under and through the rock work.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=11151&productId=30676&langId=-1

Thanks Downbeach. I have never use starboard. What is it? and what is the purpose? I see on the website that it’s some kind of plastic. Will it effect the water or how about the DSB?

I’m trying to find ways to elevate the rocks off the top of the sandbed. In my 120g, I use 8" PVC cut out about 2" from the side for flow to stand the rocks up. I would like minimal items in the sand bed as possible. I’ve seen people use plastic rods/pegs to stand base rocks up. That’s other options I’m considering.

Starboard is just a plastic, sometimes you see it as a cutting board, and is used extensively on boats. I like to use it on the bottom to protect the glass where I place my rocks. Some folks will use egg crate, but I think it’s too brittle for that. I would place some “base” rock on top of it, up to/close to where the top of my sand bed will be. I used some 3" PVC fittings and pipe to help elevate the rock, and provide flow to area’s that are hard to reach with a PH, I also drilled it full of 1" holes so I could get water flow behind and through the rocks. It also provides caves for the fish.

Here is the idea with the PVC:

Great idea. I may consider it. Thank you for your input. Are you doing DSB as well?

[quote=“reefman66, post:5, topic:5327”]
Great idea. I may consider it. Thank you for your input. Are you doing DSB as well?[/quote]

I’ve got an average of 6", in the DT and use MM in the fuge.

This is exciting ::thumbsup::

I’m tagging along!if you need help A I’m not that far away.

[quote=“Downbeach, post:6, topic:5327”]

Great idea. I may consider it. Thank you for your input. Are you doing DSB as well?[/quote]

I’ve got an average of 6", in the DT and use MM in the fuge.[/quote]

WOW, 6". I was thinking only 5" on mine. May I ask, what is MM?

[quote=“saltcreep, post:7, topic:5327”]
This is exciting ::thumbsup::[/quote]

Me too John. I want to get it set up yesterday!

[quote=“beadlocked450r, post:8, topic:5327”]
I’m tagging along!if you need help A I’m not that far away.[/quote]

Thanks Jason. You know I will ask when the time comes.

[quote=“reefman66, post:9, topic:5327”]

[quote=“Downbeach, post:6, topic:5327”]

I’ve got an average of 6", in the DT and use MM in the fuge.[/quote]

WOW, 6". I was thinking only 5" on mine. May I ask, what is MM?[/quote]

Miracle Mud.

great going, a. we need a rosti reply with his knowledge

How is that Miracle Mud work for you? do you see any difference from using that to just regular sand? I heard it was not all that and it was like regular sand.

[quote=“moliken, post:11, topic:5327”]
great going, a. we need a rosti reply with his knowledge[/quote]

Yea, I don’t know what happen to him. Haven’t seen him log on lately. Like to get little bit more advice from him.

[quote=“reefman66, post:13, topic:5327”]

Yea, I don’t know what happen to him. Haven’t seen him log on lately. Like to get little bit more advice from him.[/quote]
i sent him a pm, so, let’s hope.

[quote=“reefman66, post:12, topic:5327”]
How is that Miracle Mud work for you? do you see any difference from using that to just regular sand? I heard it was not all that and it was like regular sand.[/quote]

I think the best I can do to answer your questions is to copy in some articles by some rather well know aquarists.

I am now running something of a hybrid of this system, since I’m using a skimmer and a biopellet reactor. I have a very healthy tank and can only tell you that it may be in part due to the miracle mud, i.e. I’ve never had any problems with HLLE, etc. Having said that I can’t tell you that I wouldn’t still have a healthy tank without it, but I will soon be removing it, and in time will find out.

PBJ!

Alright A congrats sounds and looks like a great start.

[quote=“moliken, post:14, topic:5327”]

[quote=“reefman66, post:13, topic:5327”]

Yea, I don’t know what happen to him. Haven’t seen him log on lately. Like to get little bit more advice from him.[/quote]
i sent him a pm, so, let’s hope.[/quote]

I’ve sent him PMs long time ago, but no reply yet.

[quote=“Downbeach, post:15, topic:5327”]
Having said that I can’t tell you that I wouldn’t still have a healthy tank without it, but I will soon be removing it, and in time will find out.[/quote]

Why are you removing it?

[quote=“billrob71, post:16, topic:5327”]
PBJ!

Alright A congrats sounds and looks like a great start.[/quote]

Thanks Bill. Can’t wait!

I think i remember that GARF or somebody had good success clearing HLLE by feeding the fish a variety of foods soaked in Reef Plus vitamins and minerals. dont quote me. but im sure it wouldnt hurt. i have always dosed my tanks with Reef Plus, most of the time, and have never had a case of fish with HLLE or other problems. they seem to live forever. especially that one big fat nasty ugly green/yellow mongrel damsel that keeps biting my hand whenever i put it in the tank. tangs and clowns have always been perfect.

I should take some treated food to DPA. Charlie has a real nice, big purple tang with a big case of HLLE in QT he is trying to cure. Maybe it will help.

[quote=“reefman66, post:17, topic:5327”]

[quote=“Downbeach, post:15, topic:5327”]
Having said that I can’t tell you that I wouldn’t still have a healthy tank without it, but I will soon be removing it, and in time will find out.[/quote]

Why are you removing it?[/quote]

According to Leng Sy, who is the creator of this process (EcoSystem), you should replace half of the mud every six months, and mine has been in there for a year and a half. But, the main reason is due to the fact that I have a new Bubble Magnus NAC 9 skimmer and would like to replace the sump with something a little larger, and probably custom made. Or, I will have to install it in the compartment where the mud is located, so it must go for one reason or the other.

Hi A :BEER
Sorry for late reply, first congrats on your (225 GALLON (slow) TANK BUILD). 30 in depth is perfect for DSB, after 5-6 in of sand you end up “normal” 120G(24") hight tank which is perfect for artificial lighting we use. One of the biggest benefits DSB offers, IMO, is that it’s ease of maintenance and enjoyment to observe micro fauna in sand bed. Basically, if set up correctly, you will not touch it (ever) again. I can really see a beauty of BB reef tank but I couldn’t deal with siphoning detritus every week, especially in 30 in deep tank. Of course there are many more great benefits to DSB as well as down sides.
Let me know when you would like to come and see my reef tank.