3D rendering.

I’m messing with a cool 3D rendering program that I am going to use to design my next tank and stand. Just to warm up I am drawing out my current tank. It’s nothing new to anybody as far as design, but I drew it 1 line at a time and wanted to show it off lol. To be continued…

Looks nice. what software are you using? is it easy to use.?

[quote=“kaptken, post:2, topic:5147”]
Looks nice. what software are you using? is it easy to use.? [/quote]

+1

Did some more, going to use this to design a new stand for now, then a new tank some time soon.

didn’t do the hood yet.

I need to put this thing down… lol… went over board and added more… enviroment. :smiley:

Attention to detail :slight_smile:

Every thing is in real measurements.

Can be fun can’t it. I gave a couple of lectures on this at UD. Really enjoyed it, but my brother is the architect in the family that does this kind of stuff for a living. My work can’t touch his, but he hasn’t yet made a sketch of an aquarium for me.

Attention to detail. Test kits and wash rags on the shelf.

Not all the plumbing is drawn in. I found it very annoying to do sketches of PVC pipe and fittings.

The tank is partially translucent so the corners and overflow can be seen, but it is overlaid with full tank shots of the tank.

Several times I tried to do sketches of my basement, but it changes too frequently.

Nice, I was going to do the over lay thing on mine when I finish it but I need to get a good squared up photo.

The picture doesn’t have to be perfect to get it to apply. Try using one of your FTS even if it isn’t perfectly straight on and you’ll likely be able to find ways to get it to fit. I really like the textures you applied to the frame and stand, it really looks like your tank!

Looks like a good program. Wait a minute, It’s missing a big important detail. I don’t see an open can o beer anywhere on the counter. How can you do tank mods without inspiration?

WOWWWWW!!!

Not bad. ha

Looks awesome. What software are you using?

Looking real good. I know those programs take a lot of patience to use.

That’s awesome! If you get some time and decide to mess with it further, you could map out all the rooms in your house, and figure a way to put a tank in every one! That way, you could design a detailed plumbing system and actually make it work! ::drool::

Haha, already trying to figure out how to convert the entire second bathroom into a tank!

[quote=“decemberunderground, post:11, topic:5147”]
Looks awesome. What software are you using?[/quote]

What, are you holding out?

ANSWER THE QUESTION!

Pretty cool stuff Tim, how much time goes into what you’ve done?

Ancient Chinese secret. :BEER

I probably spent less than a day doing what you see so far. Mostly because I start obsessing on the little things like floor trim and the depth of the slider window lol. Today I decided to try to work out a good way of reinforcing the tank for now for my own sake of mind, until I build a new stand and go through the daunting task of breaking down my tank and rebuilding it… probably losing alot of live stock in the process.

Here is what I’ve come up with as far as extra support, my worry is its a metal stand near salt water and is showing the beginning signs of rust near the joints…

The 3 cross bars you see hold the weight of the tank… and they aren’t even full welds, only bead welds on 1 or 2 sides of each bar, wtf right?

Has held the tank for 2 years but I don’t want to find out one day it failed, so I designed a way to reinforce it without breaking it down… kinda…

Here are examples of the weld spots

here are 4x4’s that will fit in the existing space I have.

front

back

Still trying to work out how to support the middle one with out losing too much space, pictures don’t show the skimmer and stuff. The metal frame has welded tabs with holes I can bolt the wood to the structure.

p.s. its Google Sketch up

What it would look like minus the hood which I haven’t done yet.

does the middle even need more support? doesnt look like the welds are weight bearing.

curious, do the 4x4’s just work better in your plan? 2x4’s technically should be more then plenty i think.

Also, if none of the welds are holding weight, you could just cut 2x3’s to fit, drill a hole through the metal, and run screws into the wood. brace it up, quick and easy maybe ::thinking::

just a thought :TWOCENTS

or, since i can tell you’re itchin to do something… man up, and build that “stubby 180” you keep talking about. complete with diy led’s… ::thumbsup::
you’ve got a little time before the season starts right? ::rofl::

Ahh, i looked again, stupid design how the tank sits on those 3 braces. a sheet of plywood over the whole top, before the tank went on would be better for that design, but its nice how it sits in there… and that wouldnt help you now verdict_in

my idea will only work for the two outer braces tim… i cant do a fancy 3d rendering, but basically attach a 2x3 ledger right under those braces, attaching to the 2 vertical legs. you’ll be relying on the sheer strengh of the fasteners, but screws are rated pretty high.

for the middle brace, i’d just throw a coat or two of your favorite nail polish on the welds and hope for the best.
::rofl::

12 welds 1" in length on 1 side of square bar’s are the ONLY thing holding the tanks weight!

I’m in a second floor apt. at the moment, with concrete floors, otherwise I’d have built a 300+ already! >:::

The stand looked ideal when I bought it because I could fit my 55g under it, forgot about metal and salt water when building it lol.