56 US coral species likely to go extinct

Well, a new comprehensive study is out assessing the status of coral reefs around the world, and the results are not good. Many more US and world corals will be added to the endangered species list in the future.

if you clck on the link in the article, you can read and copy the 580 page PDF file of the full report. it has great photos and info on the corals in danger. many you will recognize and many not. but its a great reference an source of info.
heres the link.

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/stories/2012/04/docs/full%20doc_corals_status%20review%20report.pdf

I made a copy to my files. its only 35 MB. but worth keeping.
so my word of advise is, grow em if you got em, and keep trading frags.

Don’t look good on the home front. Looks like lots of corals that we keep will most likely be on the endangered species list. Like you said Ken, grow em if you got em, and keep trading frags, is the only way to go.

http://www.reef-geeks.com/forums/enviro-geeks/6954-under-climate-change-winners-losers-coral-reef.html

I posted a link on reef-geeks, regarding the change in specie dominance; hopefully, the same holds true for the Atlantic. As well all know, the Caribbean corals have been in bad state for many years.

I believe the OCD scientific community often does a deserves the planet when they say they aren’t sure what is going to happen when or which corals are going to die when. If our CO2 footprint continues to increase the way it has been increasing it won’t just be corals that are totally screwed.

I really believe they should spend less time, when in the public eye, discussing what exactly might happen and explaining they aren’t sure exactly when the corals will die and drive home the point that if we don’t make some changes… like yesterday… that they are all going to go extinct.

At the rate we have been exponentially pumping out more and more co2 and toxins corals, hell we (humans) will die if we don’t stop the don’t give a crap I won’t live to see it attitude. The planet is under our care and we abuse it tremendously. Our species is relatively young when compared to any others on record but has arguably had more impact on the environment than all others combined. ::thinking:: We are smart enough to fix our mistakes but too selfish to act on what we know is the right thing to do. Today’s paper says you can give ideas for the mission to mars. Maybe we can mess up 2 planets…