Algae removal

Today i decided it was then end. So after 3 days of no lights i took all the rock out scrubbed and blew (with mag 7.5) the algae away. Put it in tank again, new structure, SOOOO much more rooms and now a place to put some egg crate… Fishies stressed… but heres a story

so i have a 5g bucket filled with water, i put the mag 7.5 in, and it is pointing straight up… DUOH, then i plug it in… i turned that bucket into a fountain… the pump blew 3 gallons of water into the air instantly … all over the kitchen… funny story…

Rock looks good, mmmm thats all for now

whats the source of the algae problem? i tried doing to same thing years ago, scrubbing the rock down and more, and the stuff will be back…

i had no algae since i got my nitrates under 5…i added a skimmer and a fuge with chaeto…i also started running phosban and im workin on a DIY phosban reactor…

try to find the source, or in a couple weeks youll have the same problem.

O i know…

working on building a HoB fuge/sump from a 100 i think aquaclear filter…

Trying to get skimmer fixed

switching over to RO/DI water

running a lot more carbon

and whats this phosban stuff you talk about… ?

im very new to the phosban, so please someone else follow me up for both our knowledge…

i believe its media that removes phosphates simply put…phosphates can also contribute to algae growth i believe…

how often and how much do you feed?
how many fish do you have?

i cut back on my feeding drastically…after talking with people in the club i found out i was treating my fish like the 5 year olds you see on maury…i really didnt realize how little they have to consume relatively speaking.

i also had a school of green chromis that i decided to get rid of that helped a lot with my bioload.

like everyone will tell you the RO/DI is the best investment. i was the guy going to DPA ALL THE TIME for water. it was my reason to buy something lOl but having the system at home is awesome. i can understand because the initial output of money is kind of hard, but in the long run its worth every single penny.

i used a HOB aquaclear a while ago because i cant drill my tank…i got over this by making the PVC tube with a aqua lifter on it, and this runs to my 20 gal. long sump…anyway…the HOB worked fine for me…i had mineral mud and caulerpa, then i switched over to chaeto with a lot of rubble rocks.

the metal spindle in my HOB 100 ended up grinding down just a little bit which gave the prop. a little space to move and it became really noisy…i still have the housing for the 100 if you just want to go buy a pump for it somewhere…

I could use the body, i have a filter already but its missing the cover and the stabilizer legs, so i could just use the pump i have in it, pm me with details and pics if you could you wouuld make mylife a lot easier