an outrage!

thousands of striped bass dumped!

That is really a bureaucratic fiasco. complying with the law defeats it’s purpose. I guess the solution is to ban netting of fish and go back to rod and reel. that way you can release undersize fish with little harm. Netting is like strip mining. you see a school of fish on the fish finder, but have no idea of what exactly they are or how big. apparently they don’t use properly sized net to let smaller fish get through. Or the big ones plug up all the holes. Why are they allowed to net schools of fish if they only have a limit of 50 fish of a very large size?

I couldn’t agree with you more, Ken. If the limit is so low, that fisherman had no business trolling with a net . . . and I’m assuming he was relatively close to the shoreline.

Also, if he was allowed to keep on ly 50 fish/day, he should have been given the option to max out his yearly allotment and sell at a VERY discounted rate to other local fishermen the remainder of his bounty. His operating costs would be covered as well as profit (not to mention use his boat for potentially more business, or spend more time with family), and other fishermen would reap a small benefit. That way, everyone wins, and there’s no more dead fish into the water.

. . . But that would be the intelligent and decent thing to do, lord knows it’s the opposite of what defines :~S bureaucracy.