Anemone Question

Anyone have a good suggestion on a source for ritteri anemone’s? I would like one for my talk running right now b/c my two clowns are beating up their one clown. I know they are hard to keep, and I know they need good flow, and great lighting, I’m just wondering about a good source that could get me a healthy one? And possibly any helpful suggestions on extra care to make sure that it acclimates well to the tank. Thank you all!

There is someone on RC selling one. The post is in the DRC sub-forum. I chatted with the guy briefly a couple of weeks ago and he said its been established for about 2 years. He got it from hidden reef orginally.

These anemones seem to be hit or miss. It seems to have more to do with luck than anything. Personally, i would try to pick one up thats already established. Getting one newly imported could be tricky.

Have you kept any anemones previously? Why not try an RBTA? Much better color, easier to keep, and look very similar overall unless you get one that bubbles on you.

I have kept many anemones before ranging from green and rose bubble tips, long tentacle, and ive dabbled into carpets once or twice, but got rid of them b/c i didn’t want them getting too big. I have a beautiful rather large green bubble tip that they are hosting in right now (and have been for about a half a year), along w/ a rose and another green in the tank that two other clowns like, but my two beautiful large clowns have been beating up the large bubble tip and need something which is better suited to handle them. From my experience bubble tips are great until the clowns get older, and more aggressive, but my lady clown is a bit rough lol and she needs a larger more capable anemone so that is why I am heading in this direction. (Plus a very large rose tip is wayyyy over priced imo, and they don’t look as nice as ritteri anemones again imo :))

The clowns are beating your GBTA up? How so? What kind of clowns?

Personally, i love Haddonis(sp?) and cant wait to get one, but i defintiely understand your anxiety. Although ive seen plenty of tanks with very large carpets in them, i guess all the horror stories/pics with prized fish sticking out of them tail first have kept me away. Ive never tried anything other than BTAs but im going to get a haddoni for the tank im setting up now, im just not 100% decided on the clown species yet.

carpets are nice… had one till it ate my ringtail tang. verdict_in … let us know how you make out…

carpets are nice... had one till it ate my ringtail tang.

Thats exactly why ive never had the guts to put one in my 75g. Im always amazed when i see a reef tank full of small fish and a giant carpet taking up half the tank. My plan for the carpet is big tank, big fish, and a family of clowns to chase the big dumb fish away.

From what Ive seen observing ritterii’s …about one in ten that comes in from the wild makes it…that being said : if you can get one thats been established from a fellow hobbyist that is the best route…also if you don’t mind taking a ride-a place like absoluetely fish in jersey gets them in regularly…I allways like to see the specimen before I buy it…

I agree that I like to see what I buy before I get it as well, and that sounds like a great idea especially if they get them in regularly because they might know how to care for them better through experience. Where in NJ is this place that you are talking about? The only thing that i worry about with getting a well established one is I am looking for medium sized to small one not so much a large one but i know they don’t grow That fast so maybe ill be able to find someone selling theirs once I get back down to my tank. Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

i DONT WANT TO DISCOURAGE YOU: BUT ITS ABOUT A 3 HR RIDE FROM NORTHERN DE…I WOULD SUGGEST YOU CALL FIRST…TO SEE IF THEY HAVE ANY…ALSO I BET IF YOU PRE PAID FOR ONE ,DR MAC WOULD ORDER ONE FOR YOU …ITS A LITTLE CLOSER THAN JERSEY…HTH

lol its all good, (i am very close to NJ because I am at home right now). What part of Jersey that’s all I was wondering. Thank you :slight_smile: Also I don’t really want to prepay because if a crappy specimen comes in, im stuck with it. We’ll see im sure that i will find something some where :slight_smile:

its in clifton…rte 46 west…U can get to it from the garden state pkwy…hth