ATO, need some ideas

basicaly i need a top off system that is as cheap as possible

might be able to take care of you at the meeting.

this is EXACTLY what i use, wired to a maxi jet 1200 i had laying around

i could even help you do it if you like. that kit, a pump, reservoir, and a hose. it uses double float switches, a high and a low, so if the low sticks the water rises and floats the second one which turns off the pump just in case.

John - i would hold off on buying any DIY kit at the moment if you can. we should have a MUCH better alternative available by the April meeting.

[quote=“logans_daddy, post:4, topic:2795”]
John - i would hold off on buying any DIY kit at the moment if you can. we should have a MUCH better alternative available by the April meeting.[/quote]

Well, you better post pics after the meeting. Now you have me interested.

how effective is tapping a 1-5 gallon bucket and attaching tubing to a kent marine float??

im looking for something cheap to do on my 3 gal. nano

i saw something like this online but i cant find the link.

Depending on what your definition of cheap is you too might want to wait until the April meeting! ;D

as long as i can spend less than i would on a retail model, im sold, ha…im a function person, so u could make one out of cardboard as long as it worked and id be pleased.

ill be patient Saint:)

less than i would on a retail model
think half of that
so u could make one out of cardboard
then you will be oh so happy! ;D

Okay i will wait i guess lol…

L-D knows how to make all the good stuff!

anyone ever put a small pump (like an aqua lifter) on a timer, and let the timer run for only one minute per day…

i can think of a million ways one could get in trouble with this…but i was j/w if anyone in the club has attempted this setup?

Our friend Marty just uses a syphon drip from a water jug to continously drip RO into the sump. about a drop or two a second keeps his level for a couple days. then refill the jug. just an airline tube with a micro valve to control the drip rate. match your evap rate.

Me, i just dump a bucket full in daily. along with my alk/kalk .

[quote=“longballz84, post:12, topic:2795”]
anyone ever put a small pump (like an aqua lifter) on a timer, and let the timer run for only one minute per day…[/quote]

This sounds absolutely crazy to me. Can be more touchy and complicated then just topping off by hand. Just my opinion.

Shawn I need a cheap option for ATO as well. Also thinking about doing a little Kalk dosing. Can your secret help me to?

This sounds absolutely crazy to me. Can be more touchy and complicated then just topping off by hand.
+1
Can your secret help me to?
Dont think its much of a secret anymore! >LOL<

I googled DIY ATO one day…and thats one that came up…trust me I know its a horrible idea.

float(ebays are OK but not the best) + solid state relay (120vAC 3-20vdc trigger, 500 mA) + pump(or solenoid or w/e addition method) = ATO

Cheap simple easy!

Or get your hands wet with some programming and fancy stuff…Microcontroller + solid state relay + addition method = ATO