Auto Water Change System

I just measured it. with the lid screwed down, its 39.5 inches high, and , hard to really measure, about 24 inches in diameter. its a few inches taller than a straight sided type 55 barrel, because of the slight taper at the ends.

its the only one i have like that. there is another straight side 55, with the metal binding strap for a flat lid. but i let someone else pick it up. and they picked one with some kind of stuff smeared on the inside. never been able to bleach or acid wash it out. would make a good old tank dirty water reservoir though, if you want it. its only 36 inches high.

You know, during christmas, i saw a Pathmart store manager rolling out two very tall blue poly barrels on a dolly to someones truck. I asked him how he got those. he said, during some seasons, they get certain foods, or packages shipped to them from overseas in these 5 foot tall, 75 gallon blue poly barrels, with screw on lids. and they sell them empty for $34 each. clean and dry. he says people buy them to ship stuff back overseas, water proof and secure. i never noticed, but sure enough there was a dozen of them way up on top of the lunch meat wall freezers, against the wall. but i didnt see any last week. they come and go. ask around the local grocery stores if you are interested in one that big. i didnt get to check the wall thickness to see if they are strong enough to hold 75 gallons of water though. they might be thin wall containers.

I was just going to buy another Brute trash can, which is only 32 inches high. My WC system is going to be setup to change 40 gals each time. I will have to measure to see if 39 inches is too high, I will let you know if I can use it Ken.

I just measured and it will work out for me. Thanks Ken. Maybe I can pick it up over the weekend, if that works for you.

OK if you are ready . otherwise i sent you and email. Dont laugh too much.

Ah that makes sense. I was thinking the RO tank would be full most of the time for some reason.

Since you have an ATO, how are you going to incorporate that into the system so it doesn’t want to run while you’re doing a water change?

My ATO has a float valve in the sump that controls a small PH in the ATO R/O 20 gal reservoir that turns on when the water level in the sump goes low. There is also a float valve in the reservoir on the feed in line, so that when it is full, the R/O water feed shuts off. Since there is 20 gal in the reservoir, it last a long time before it needs to be filled. When I make R/O water for the mixing tank, the feed for the ATO reservoir will be off.

Hope I explained it so you can understand how it works.

Finished the stand today and started looking at the way the plumbing is planned out and realized that I should install a check valve between valve #1 and valve #8.

How about one check valve on the return pipe above #2 valve?

[quote=“houndsbayman, post:27, topic:7068”]
Finished the stand today and started looking at the way the plumbing is planned out and realized that I should install a check valve between valve #1 and valve #8.[/quote]
Is this to prevent back siphon when the pump turns off?

A, if I place it above valve #2 then I won’t be able to siphon water from the tank into the R\O tank

Scottman…Exactly

Oops you’re right. I was looking at one way, up.

I’ve never been a big fan of check valves but given this situation I couldn’t agree more.

Things are coming together on my AWC system. I finished the plumbing today. Next is to run the electrical out lets and switches for the pump and thermostat.

Some pics of the finished plumbing.

[URL=http://s723.photobucket.com/user/houndsbayman/media/DSC_0452_zps9ca4ff80.jpg.html]

[/URL]

Also have to run the R?O water line to the top container.

I installed this DIY gauge on the top container for when I drain water from the Display tank, I will know when I have 40 gals in the top container. As the water enters the container and fills up, the water level will show in the clear tubing.

Nice John. Looks good. John, in that second pic, that check valve, is that the metal spring trap kind?

Very nice John.

Thanks A . Yes A it is. I am thinking I should have gone with a better one. But I can change it out at any time.

Thanks Bill

Very good John. Those self sealing pipe penetration bulkheads work real good, and im sure make the fit up a little bit easier and fool proof. Where did you say you got them again?

I like your choice of a low tech site glass barrel level gauge. they never fail. a nice touch for ease of operation, as you say.

Your new system is sure gonna make your water changes much easier.

Thanks Ken

They are called Uniseals and I bought them from Bulk Reef Supply @ $2.00 each.

[quote=“houndsbayman, post:37, topic:7068”]
Thanks A . Yes A it is. I am thinking I should have gone with a better one. But I can change it out at any time.

Thanks Bill[/quote]

The reason why I asked was that I use it before and it fail on me. But when I used it, it was constance open and never close. But it seems that you only use it temporarily when you do your water change, so, maybe it will be OK.