Baby Banggai Cardinals again

Was just stiiring up the algea in the frag tank, and spotted a baby Banggai from my parent pair. they have been at it again. I saw dad had the mumps again for a while and it looks like he spit them out last night or tonight. lights were still on so i would say last night. first spotted one, and then some others. after the tank got quiet i think i see about 9 so far. 5-6 in a little school flicking about the tank. dont have any live food for them. just some freeze dried rotifers and decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. probably wont do. they wont last without live food, even if their parents dont eat them or the spawning perc pair in the tank too.

but for now its cool to see a school of miniature Banggais swimming around the tank again.

Ken thats awesome, if some end up making it i would love to get a couple from you when i get back. Hope they make it for you, thats great.

You got it Case! I’ll do my best. i mixed the freeze dried rotifers and decap BS eggs and some other small stuff in with some frozen BS, mysis and other stuff to flavor up the small stuff. they seemed to be picking at it. and the two adult pairs seem to ignore them swimming by their nose. good sign. maybe a couple will survive, if they learn to take the food i have now.

I like the Cardinals. Dad holds the eggs in his mouth for three weeks until they hatch live as perfect little chips off the old block! Then stay in his mouth a few more days eating their egg sacks, and then escape one night. to make it on their own.

Nice fish! I have always liked them. But they are very finicky about baby food.

Don’t know if this would help or not, but have you tried grinding up flake food into a fine powder and mixing it in the water column? Food may be too big for the babies, not sure but my gorgonians love it.

I would also like to get a couple if you have enough make it!

Nice Ken, I guess…since you’re not really doing the reef thing anymore. Hope the babies will grow out though. I do have some left over frozen rotifer in the fridge from the baby seahorse if you want. I’m planning on stop by your house this Sunday if that’s OK with you. Let me know if you want some, I’ll bring it with me.

sure, I’ll give the frozen Ros a try. sunday will be fine. give me a call before to say when.

They seem to have made it through the night. i count 10 this morning. I’ll keep adding a pinch of freeze dried rotifers and freezed dried cyclopseze and stuff. not sure if they are eating it or not. the big fish seem to be leaving them alone. maybe some will grow up.

would love to see pics or maybe a video. when your ready to get ride of them, I would like to get in line for a a few.

[quote=“Gotasplinter, post:8, topic:7530”]
would love to see pics or maybe a video. when your ready to get ride of them, I would like to get in line for a a few.[/quote]

You’re asking too much of Ken ::rofl::. He just now discovering flip phone let alone taking pics and doing video lOl he is trying though. PoM YahoO GolfC

thats awesome ken good luck and I surely would like some!!

[quote=“reefman66, post:9, topic:7530”]

[quote=“Gotasplinter, post:8, topic:7530”]
would love to see pics or maybe a video. when your ready to get ride of them, I would like to get in line for a a few.[/quote]

You’re asking too much of Ken ::rofl::. He just now discovering flip phone let alone taking pics and doing video lOl he is trying though. PoM YahoO GolfC[/quote]

A, maybe you guys can incorporate a few slides on the basics of a smartphone for ken at the next meeting. ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl:: JK ken!

I would surely appreciate a smart phone presentation! i have let the whole cell phone era slide by, so far. but plan to get into one soon, for travel.

Much to my surprise, the Babies are still hanging on in the tank. looks like they are eating the freeze dried rotifers, freezed dried arctic pods, decapsulated brine shrimp eggs or fine golden pearls i keep adding by the pinch. today i thought i counted 9 one time, but 8 most times. they find little nooks to hide, but swim around some too.

I am surprised they are doing so good in the big frag tank with a pair of mating cardinals and percs. but they dont seem to bother them this time. when i was actively raising about 150 of them in 2001-2002, i would suck them up in a turkey baster the night of their release in a heavily populated 75 reef tank, and raise them in 2, 5 or 10 gallon tanks .

If AJ is still dropping by sunday for a few chunks of rock, he can take some pics or video on his phone. I’ll clean the glass,eerr acrylic.

How about in the afternoon about 3ish? I’ll call before I leave.

Perfect AJ! Even I should be up by then.

Stop by Ken’s house today and took some pics of the Banggai babies. They are sooo cute as my wife said it. Clones of the parents at about 1/4". They were all over the tank and were so small you can barely see them. Had to look very hard to find them in the tank because they blend in very well with the surroundings, but manage to get some pics of some and their parents.

Parents

Babies

Ken are you selling that red alge?

Thanks for taking the pics A, they look really good in spite of my scratchy old acrylic tank. Thats a pretty good phone camera. The colors came out great even with the 6 bar T5 over it with 4 blues and 2 50/50s. your blue compensation is perfect.

I still count 8 baby banggais in there doing fine. But OH OH!! Momma Cardinal is trying to get frisky with Dad again. Keeps slinking up next to him and doing the Shmmy Shake to get him excited! But so far Dad has been scooching away, saying Not Now, the kids are still up, and besides, it’s sunday night Fottballl! He usually likes to spend a week eating lots of meaty foods before, you know, again.

But she is persistant, won’t take no for an answer.

I don’t know how much longer he can hold out!!

Oh No, There she goes again!!

No problem Jason. I can give you a starter piece. my only concern is since i have neglected the tank a whlle, a lot of it has some strange green fuzzy growing on it. but i think i can find a clean sprout to snip for you. It’s Botryocladia, Red Grape macro, one of my favorites. just super glue the base stem to a rubble rock and it will grow hold fasts over the glue. then grow to a great branching bush, all from one little stem anchor. good stuff if you place it in medium flow area and have good water quality. its pretty tame, nice to have in the display tank, on its own rock. it will shed little red globes that can land and anchor elsewhere in the tank, but pretty easy to control if you think its a problem. most that you see in thes pics are free floating, like tumble weed.

Yea I would like to put it in the fug and grow it for my tangs

Great, one of my tangs used to like it a lot. like eating grapes on the vine. but a good decorative macro too.