Brandon's 65rr swap

So at the advice of Lee, I decided to do a tank build thread when i transferred from my 46 gal bowfront to my 65 gal RR. I started out getting a year old 65 gallon used for freshwater with stand. Tank looked a little dingy but thats to be expected. I ran the tank with a vinegar mix for about a week and it cleaned up really nice. Then I tinted the rear glass as well as the side where the overflow is. My lady has americana stars all over the house so I incorporated those into the stand. Then came the cycle. Went relatively smooth since i used seeded rock and sand from my existing tank as well as natures ocean sand for the substrate. After a few weeks, and water testing good, it was moving day. Large ice chests do really well with moves and i was able to keep the water circulating and warm in the fish/coral chest while i added the live rock. Fast forward a week, something happened and i lost all corals with a skeleton, except one, and my yellow tang and flame angel. Mandarines, blue hippo, clowns, and the rest faired fine as well as all my zoas and soft corals. After a month now, tank seems to be doing ok. Thank you to Lee and Karen for donating some frags to help get back the tank to its beauty. Its still a work in progress so i will update pictures when i think about it.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

Awesome!

When doing a change over to a new larger tank, there is always the possibility of loss, as I am sure, plenty of members have come to find. In the long range picture, your corals and fish will be in a better environment with better growth space and water volume for the future.

Your tank looks like it is doing great, continued success with it.

Nice pics!!

Thank you. Doing the swap-out also gave me perfect opportunity to change out substrate as well as remove some of the ‘uglier’ palys. I cant conplain about the loss, sucks but it could have been worse.

I should have read the last two sentences… :frowning:

Sorry about your losses. Like John said, that’s pretty typical during a switchover unfortunately.

Whats crazy is the fish i was most worried about (blue hippo) acted like it was nothing. Never stressed or anything. And a virtually bulletproof fish (yellow tang) perished. Luckily yellow tangs are cheap enough and hardy enough to replace

Any signs of disease on the tang? Spots, red patches, etc?

Nice Rainbow Bubble Tip. Hope he continues to do well

He actually split 2 weeks after i got him and both are doing really well! Beautiful nems. Thank you!!!

He actually split 2 weeks after i got him and both are doing really well! Beautiful nems. Thank you!!!

His eyes got cloudy and the next day he was dead when i got home

One eye was cloudy or both? One cloudy eye is usually an injury, both cloudy is usually an infection. How long had you had the fish?

[quote=“TheEngineer, post:13, topic:9032”]
One eye was cloudy or both? One cloudy eye is usually an injury, both cloudy is usually an infection. How long had you had the fish?[/quote]
Both eyes were cloudy. Had him for 2 years. Either way, it was unfortunate to lose him, however he was one of the least expensive fish in the aquarium. I still want to replace the flame angel, just havent worked up the extra 70 to spend on one

hows the tank coming along? Lets keep those pics coming

Away with the Army this weekend. My birds nest has a little white (dying) on it, i have to test my parameters. Zoas are looking great and exploding with growth. All other fish and corals seem to be doing ok. I did see one of my rainbow bubbletips has split so i may have one of those available soon

Haha I just asked Jason about one of his nems wish I would have read this first lol

If i had the room for another tank, i would definitely hit him up for that mated pair he has. Has your pair started mating again?

[quote=“ricerocketms, post:18, topic:9032”]
If i had the room for another tank, i would definitely hit him up for that mated pair he has. Has your pair started mating again?

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk[/quote]yes they just had a batch of eggs eerrrr fish food