Building a Custom Canopy

Hey, guys.

I’ve just started brainstorming a project here and was looking for a little help. I want to modify or completely build from scratch a new canopy for my 150.

As it stands now, my canopy measures a mere 7" tall which means my under-canopy lights are a mere 7" off the water’s surface. I think this is detrimental for numerous reasons. In addition, the entire unit needs to be removed whenever I need to get in the tank which is a two-person job and quite frankly, my wife is sick of helping.

I have two thoughts. Number 1, I could reach out to the manufacturer and just get a quote on another canopy. I could easily rig the two together and at the very least I’d be getting another 7" off the water’s surface. A benefit to this is that it will match the existing canopy perfectly. I’d want to modify it to have a hinged hood in the front to give me access to the tank without needing to remove the entire unit.

The other route would be to build one from scratch. The biggest obstacle would be finding the type of wood needed that would match my existing stand. My tank is black. Any idea where to buy the black faux-wood grain particle board stuff they use to make stands?

Thanks

You can use lewan wood for lightweight wood covering up your framework and hust use black stain for it. Frame it out in one-bys and piano hinge either the whole front or partial tops for accessibility

[quote=“ClownfishSushi, post:1, topic:8799”]
Hey, guys.

I’ve just started brainstorming a project here and was looking for a little help. I want to modify or completely build from scratch a new canopy for my 150.

As it stands now, my canopy measures a mere 7" tall which means my under-canopy lights are a mere 7" off the water’s surface. I think this is detrimental for numerous reasons. In addition, the entire unit needs to be removed whenever I need to get in the tank which is a two-person job and quite frankly, my wife is sick of helping.

I have two thoughts. Number 1, I could reach out to the manufacturer and just get a quote on another canopy. I could easily rig the two together and at the very least I’d be getting another 7" off the water’s surface. A benefit to this is that it will match the existing canopy perfectly. I’d want to modify it to have a hinged hood in the front to give me access to the tank without needing to remove the entire unit.

The other route would be to build one from scratch. The biggest obstacle would be finding the type of wood needed that would match my existing stand. My tank is black. Any idea where to buy the black faux-wood grain particle board stuff they use to make stands?

Thanks[/quote]

Who let this clown in??

Reported to moderator!

[quote=“ClownfishSushi, post:4, topic:8799”]
Reported to moderator![/quote]

Report received and disposed of!

All joking aside long time no see! Hows married life? Hows the tank? I can help with your hood if needed

[quote=“beadlocked450r, post:6, topic:8799”]
All joking aside long time no see! Hows married life? Hows the tank? I can help with your hood if needed[/quote]

Tank isn’t exactly where I expected it to be at this point. It went through a period where coraline started growing like crazy then everything just kinda stagnated. I’m not having any luck with SPS in this system with a few exceptions. It’s not all bad, but it’s not where I was hoping to be 19 months in.

Married life is good. Part of the reason I’m building the canopy extension. She’s tired of helping me lift it.

I spoke with Steve from SC Aquariums today and ordered a 2nd canopy. $150 shipped. He said he did the exact same thing on one of his 150’s. I’m going to attach a piano hinge to the entire front panel and stack the two canopies. I think i’ll see a noticeable difference in the light quality/spread and it should be a little easier keeping everything clean at that height. I believe the canopy will be here by next Tuesday. I’m off Wed or Fri so probably going to work on it one of those days. Wouldn’t mind a hand.

No worries keep me posted. Next week i start a new work schedule, im free Friday,Saturday and Sunday

[quote=“beadlocked450r, post:8, topic:8799”]
No worries keep me posted. Next week i start a new work schedule, im free Friday,Saturday and Sunday[/quote]

Hey, Jason. My Canopy is scheduled to arrive today (thursday). I’m off Friday myself. I could use a hand lifting and assembling it if you are free.

My work schedule got changed this week, i have to work tomorrow and have the swap on saturday

no worries!

Canopy is done. It’s a beast. Going to be lifting into place in a few minutes.

Lights

Closed

Looks great, good coverage on the entire tank ::thumbsup::