Building a Tank

So me and my girlfriend are talking about tanks and she is like we should build one. So that gave me the bright idea to try and build a 55 gallon to see how we do. Hopefully this turns out good.

Are you doing glass or acrylic? what dimensions?

btw. your girlfriend sounds awesome ::thumbsup::

idk yet we are still deciding between the 2. We are just drawling up ideas. i will deff keep ya posted hopefully this comes out good cause 2 of my friends said if it works they want me to build them one and pay for it so thats fun!

It can be done pretty simple. I built my glass frag tank 48x24x8 and it turned out real nice. If you are doing that you may want to by the frame for the 55 there available and makes things alot easier. If your doing acrylic the panel edges need to be perfectly straight and flat so the cement cures and seals

yea i think i might go acrylic

Sounds like a great project to build together. If at anytime you are considering making it a reef tank, IMO a 55 gal is not a good size to use because it is too narrow. To me, the dimension that is important to keep aware of is the distance from front to back. This gives the tank some depth to create a much better enviorment for a reef setup.

Good Luck!

thanks ::thumbsup:: anywhere where i could get material for cheap

Unlees your building a big or in Johns case a speacialty tank its not really worth it you will pay just as much in glass as you would to buy one hell even more if you catch the dollor a gallon sale it would be less and hell I bought a 75 gallon on Crags List for 60 and got a nice canopy with it but if you just want to build one just cause more power to ya!!! you can call any glass place tell them the size, thickness,and kind of glass and they will have it all cut and ready for you to pick up. I belive Capt.Ken had a few pics up recently of a tank he built looked great

i think the glass one would be easy i have a buddy that can make a support system for it out of stainless i figured gobs of silicone in the track with some kind of rubber protection then glass. but when i priced glass I was blown Away check out glasscages.com after you price your build in my case the built tank and shipping was $1700 cheaper

I agree on the cost of glass, when I did mine I had all the sides just needed to get a bottom panel and still costed $70 for one piece. 1/4 inch glass also. Unless your going to do something HUGE probably cheaper in the long run just to buy one.

yeah i priced 3/4 glass 8 ft x 36 and with the glass needed it was 4k starphire but still

You can buy acrylic sheets from hereā€¦
http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/acrylicsheet.html

And if you have 15 min to sit and watch a vid, I did one on my first acrylic tank build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZpkZQUpg4Q

nice build i may hire you for a build lol

thanks Tim. That is my frag tank now.