Cichlids!

Ok guys, so I’m trying something new, cichlids. I had an extra 30 gallon with stand calling my name from my garage so I decided to give these guys a try. I did some research and am going with the Africans. I already have the 75 salt and 55 fresh and wanted to do something different. Decided to go with aragonite sand for my substrate, figured I could just add any of the extra to my sump for my reef tank. Everything is cycling and just waiting for fish. Used some small/medium rocks along the sand as well as a few pieces of lava rock, but not sure what else to use, I’ve been told they will pull up plants. Any suggestions or tips for these guys would be great. Ordered a mixed lot of 12 that should be in on Monday, figured that will give me a few extra in case one or two don’t make it or I can trade a few back in if I don’t like them. I have heard mixed opinions on the crowding option and I decided that I would try this method first considering I can always turn a few in once they get larger. I went extra on the filter with an aquaclear 50 that I had available. I know not everyone will agree with the crowding method, however I’ve heard that it works quite well. If anyone has any experience with cichlids, advice is welcome.

The AQ50 may not be enough for a Cichlid tank, that’s crowded, they eat and poop alot.
In my 40 gal cichlid tank I had, two red peacocks, a blue peacock, a Bumblebee, two Electric Yellow, and a Yellowfin Borleyi and had no problems with fighting, that seemed crowded I could not see 12 fish in there myself…

Also remember you still need to cycle the tank and increase the bio-load slowly if you add 12 fish to a new tank, you most likely will have a high spike and burnt gills.

Thanks! I ordered the 12 with the assumption that they might not all make it, add/or I would be giving a few back. I got a great deal on them ($30 for the lot) so I don’t mind giving a few back to the store. I used some water from my 55 to start up so not too.worried about cycling, however you make a good point about increasing the bioload all at once. I had not thought about that, it was suggested to do this so that they all came from the same tank at the supplier and would be less likely to fight. I suppose I will have to do small daily water changes to help everything balance out in the beginning. I do have an additional filter in storage that I can add to the system if needed, not sure what it is though… I will get it out and throw it on the back for now, can always take it off later once the tank is more established. I plan on adding a pleco in a month or so also, once I start getting some algae growth.

I will go out tomorrow and grab some neon tetras to help jump start the tank, I was thinking about getting them for the 55 anyways so I will just transfer them over on Monday when the meanies get in :slight_smile: don’t want anyone to get eaten!