Cube Tank Time Machine Trip!

Well,
It’s a late weekend night, and I decided to step into my “Cube tank Time Machine” and travel back in time to San Francisco, just days before the BIG ONE. I have always liked this old film, made on April 14, 1906, from the front window of a cable car going East on Market Street from about Van Ness Ave. all the way to the Embarcadaro Ferry Building tower, on the bay. You might say this was the first Google Street view Cam Car? Or , Maybe not. Having lived and worked there through the 70’s i regularly rode the electric street cars to work, that replaced this cable car run, but on the same tracks.

There are many other versions of this film with period music, or dubbed in traffic sound effects, but i like this version best with it’s trippy time machine music~~~

Just look at how all that traffic seems to have a natural flow, in a time before traffic lights, stop signs, yellow and white lane lines and absolutely no parking controls. It was a transition time between horse and buggy and motor vehicles. Watch where you step.

Just 4 days later the big earthquake struck San Francisco on April 18, 1906. Hmmm??? Exactly 109 years to the day before our Frag Swap! I hope that’s a good omen that our Frag Swap is going to Rock The House!

Enjoy
See you there!

well I gotta say that’s pretty cool

That was crazy no real lines in the road just a free for all

Yes, It’s amazing there are no collisions. Who needs rules when you have common sense and self preservation to guide you? Of course the speeds were at more pedestrian rates. Better to guage and time the guantlet to cross the road. and did you notice most cars were right hand drive and Heavy loads where still carried by horse and wagon. Motor vehicles were still rather, puny. The wagons seemed to all be heading to the Ferry building to ship their load of cargo and goods to Oakland via the Ferry boats. since the bay bridges hadn’t been built yet.

the modern ride down the same tracks looks like this. it even passes one of my old office buildings near the very end. The one with tall vertical black windows and white concrete columns on the left on Davis st. ( old union bank bldg? 24th floor, nice view of the bay. ) . later on several others near by. they have changed a lot the past 40 years.

I think i like the old one better. It just looks like a lot more fun. They still have Trolleys, cars and Bicycles today, but no more horse flop. except the occasional mounted police officer, for good will. I think everyone still likes seeing horses in the city!