Cycling a new tank

So how does everyone cycle their new tank? and what are some ways that can be done? Are one better than the others?

I myself use the Seachem Stability now. In the past I’ve used a damsel fish to help cycle (its because that’s what I was told to do and suggested) and what a mistake it was. I had that fish in the tank for almost five years before it decided to commit suicide and jump out of the tank and I was so happy that day.

I couldn’t put any friendly fish in the tank without it trying to kill it. That was one of the reason why I didn’t have much fish in the tank. I’ve learn my lesson.

I haven’t done it in a while but when and if I ever do, I would set it all up and throw some food in or a silverside to start it off.

I just use raw shrimp in a mesh bag and toss it in the sump. I let it rot in there until the cycle breaks, then trash it. Stability is pretty good, but since its just bacteria, you need to add something as a food source for the bacteria.

Some folks add ammonia and go with that, I’ve never tried that.

I’ve used Special Blend from microbe lift. Works pretty darn good IMO but man does it stink.

You could probably even use skimmate to jump start it too.

I do similar and I use MicroBacter7 as a cycle booster.