DIY algae scrubber

completed working on new scrubber. Going to experiment with it incorporated into my system to see what effects on my tank it will create. I do not have an algae problem, just want to see if my nutrient, phosphate levels come down and remain stable and low. No light on the scrubber in these pics, it will be coming on Monday

Some pics…

looking good John, following along to see your results. wev been wanting to build one of this style, maybe this will be our motivation. What type of light are you going to use? Do you get any kind of overspray?

Nice work. Did you ruff up the screen?

Thanks guys.

The light is coming tomorrow and now that I look at it again, from the picture of it, it may be too big, size wise. It is a 14W LED light made up of reds and blues. I couldn’t find any specs for the actual measurements of the light.

No over spray right now, but just have it running to check that it is functioning correctly.

Brian, I did rough it up using a hole saw bit, by just scrapping it over the sheet on both sides. The sheet was scuffed up really well.

I will post pics of the light if I can use it.

Well the light is pretty large, but it may workout just fine. I had to make adjustments and turn the scrubber sideways in the sump. It has been running with the light for 2 days, on an 18 hour schedule. Will see how long it takes to start growing algae.

Here is a video of it running. Sorry about the quality of the video.

https://youtu.be/spTesD5Qp_E

Nice!

The video won’t play bc it’s a private video fyi.

Thanks, try it again, it works when I try it on the DRC site.

It works now.

Looks good. Keep an eye on algae growth where the screen enters the pvc. When mine gets a little growth I’ve noticed it will send water shooting out in random directions, but my scrubber is enclosed

I have had that happen once already, just do like you said and keep it under observation.

So far I am very happy with the way it is functioning. the scrubber is only setup to collect algae on one side of the sheet.

Thanks for the heads up Jason.

John, any update on the scrubber? Looking to do one up to help keep the in check.

I have since stopped using it.

Why did you stop?

I made the same scrubber and incorporated in to my system. For lights I used regular 6500k day light bulbs and after 3 months it was working great but it made my tank " too clean " and my phos and nitrates were at 0 and I lost a 6" Hollywood stunner and some zoos melted away. If I didn’t have a refrugim and just a sump I think it would be good. I don’t have it on my tank now and everything is doing better. Lesson learned

Same thing happened to me ,just like Mike said. Just doing my regular w/c without skipping any and the tank is doing fine.

Jason said the same thing when he was running his. Do you guys think a smaller one that would not really take so much phos and nitrates out would work? but to keep it low enough to be manageable? The reason why I ask is that my tank don’t get water change monthly, but every 3 month. So, I would like to keep the tank water stable with lower nutrients to kindda keep it clean till I’m able to do water change again. What you guys think?

Only way to know is to give it a try