DIY Kalk Reactor/ATO doser (pics)

Hey guys,

Here is a simple little ATO setup that can work as a kalkwasser reactor or other function as a doser for something you would want to keep sealed, and dose at a slow continual rate (like most things!). I only ask that you guys ignore my messy work desk while looking at the pics.

Honestly I have no idea what the definition of a “kalkwasser reactor” is. I’ve always seen it as one of those fancily named things that just mixes and doses kalk. Well we can do that for stupid cheap with the following setup.

This setup also works great with an ATO that doesn’t have any tolerancing built in to deal with any water movement near the float switch.

I’ll post up a DIY of a super cheap ATO soon, just need to take the pics!

The basis of this setup is using an air pump to pressurize water jugs to force your choice top off water UP and into the tank (sump). Being an air pump they are much more tolerant of on/off operation than a pump.

Placing the outlet of the air pump into the bottom of the jug will act as a mixer for your kalk (or other material) keeping it stirred and in solution. Keeping the jug sealed keeps unnecessary air contact to keep your kalk from reacting with ambient carbon dioxide and keeping its potency.

You can also stage these in series for as many as you want, just by daisy chaining the air tubes from one jug to the next.

Construction:

Parts:

• 1 (or more) Gallon Jug (prefer distilled water jugs, as I can get these for free from work, and not need to clean!)
  • Spare air pump (who doesn’t have 10 of these sitting around!?)
  • Air tubing
  • A few drill bits
  • An ATO (hopefully soon I can post up my cheap DIY) (sorry bad pic)

Step one (MOST IMPORTANT): (prep caps)
Place two pilot holes and SLOWLY enlarge the holes with larger drill bits until you have a VERY snug fit with your air tubes into the holes. This is the most important step, because if you don’t have a tight fit here you will get leaks when you pressurize the jugs, defeating the purpose.

Step two: (prep tubes)
Cut a “jumper” tube from your air line tubing. This tube must be long enough to run to 1" from the bottom of the first 1gallon jug to the BOTTOM of the second jug. You want this 1" from the bottom of the first jug so it doesn’t pick up any fallen particulate of your additives (kalk) and you want it in the bottom of the second jug to provide mixing in the second jug (if necessary).

Step three: Add second (or more) jug(s)
Run a an extra long length of tubing from your air pump to your first 1 gallon jug, this tube should reach to the very bottom of the jug as this will provide mixing for you additive (kalk) when it is actuated.

Step four: Finish it up
Run a bit of tubing from the second (or final) jug into the sump. Make certain this tube is 1" from the bottom of the jug so as to not pick up and particulate from your additives (kalk). Enjoy your new DIY kalk wasser, that you spent practically nothing on. (in action shot)

I simply keep adding RO/DI water to the jugs and add the kalk additives once or twice a week as necessary. Running the RO/DI through the system will help keep it clean and fully utilize the kalk.

Notes:

• You can daisy chain as many together as you want, just make sure the tube ENTERING the jug goes to the bottom and the tube LEAVING the jug is 1" from the bottom.
  • Make certain that your air pump is HIGHER than your jugs other wise it will want to flow backwards when it turns off and is still pressurized.
  • Make certain your jugs are LOWER than your sump, other wise it will want to drain out, like a siphon.

Step five (optional): Kalk

I like to mix vinegar and kalk usually. You can get a little more kalk in this way and also provide a bit of food for the bacteria in your tank.

Add 1 Tsp per gallon of top off water to your first jug (you can do up to 1.5 per gallon if you are using vinegar).

(so thats why sponge bob is so happy)

Add ~15mls of vinegar per gallon of top off water

You’re good to go!!

(only final pic I’ve got, don’t mind the water, took this when the tank was leaking!)

Hope this helps some folks, always fun to do reefing on the cheap.