DIY pest zapper

Just finished my DIY electrode today so I figured I would share. My main motivation was to kill this brown paly that was stinging my seasons greetings monti. It worked like a charm, turned it to mush in less than 30s. It was a lot of fun and I’m kind of bummed out that I don’t have anything else to fry haha.

It was stupid simple to make. You will need:
1 x 12V 1A DC power converter (doesn’t exactly need to be those exact specs but something in the ballpark)
1 x ~2" piece of graphite for the cathode (+ positive)
1 x ~2" piece of titanium for the anode (- negative) stainless steel will also work, but Ti will hold up better to sw
1 x ~3’ piece of hollow rod (I used the rod for turning the window blinds)
1 x momentary switch (only active when pressed)
wire
soldering iron
hot glue gun

All you need to do is solder a wire to the sharpened Ti rod and one to the graphite rod. For the graphite I just drilled a hole through it and solder the wire in. Be sure to coat the solder and exposed wire in glue or epoxy bc the sw will corrode it. Inset both wires into the tube and glue the cathode and anode on (be sure they aren’t touching). I melted the shaft and bent the tip down a little bit so I could reach behind rocks. Not necessary, but I find it useful. Next, connect the negative lead of the DC power converter to the Ti wire. Then connect the + lead to the graphite through a switch, box it up and your done. Here are some pics…

Green is ground/Ti, Orange is hot/graphite.

Is like a majano wand i have seen advertised? What should the space be between the two, i cant see under the black on the tip. I have a bunch of majanos that started popping up and thought it would be fun to fry em. Where do you get the titanium probe?

You’re welcome to come over to my place, I have a few things you can zap to oblivion. If you have long arms and/or a snorkel that would be even better z<>z

How does it feel when you put your hand in the water with the Zapper? Does it Tickle?

what do the palys/majanos look like ?

[quote=“Scottman81, post:2, topic:6375”]
Is like a majano wand i have seen advertised? What should the space be between the two, i cant see under the black on the tip. I have a bunch of majanos that started popping up and thought it would be fun to fry em. Where do you get the titanium probe?[/quote]
Yep it’s exactly the same as the majano wand (http://majanowand.com/), but I didn’t want to spend $60 for something that I already had the components to build. The space between the cathode and anode isn’t that critical. The closer they are, the lower the electric potential required to strip the electrons off of NaCl and H2O to produce the H2 and Cl2 gas. If they were within a few mm, then you could use a lower voltage power supply to achieve the same effect. My spacing was dictated by the hole that was already in the blind turning rod. I got the Ti and graphite rods from: http://www.mcmaster.com/#

[quote=“Cdangel0, post:3, topic:6375”]
You’re welcome to come over to my place, I have a few things you can zap to oblivion. If you have long arms and/or a snorkel that would be even better z<>z[/quote]
Sounds fun, where you at? It’s a 3’ probe so it should be able to reach most places easily.

[quote=“kaptken, post:4, topic:6375”]
How does it feel when you put your hand in the water with the Zapper? Does it Tickle?[/quote]
Nope, I can’t notice a difference in myself or livestock with it on or off.

I’m in New Castle - right new the Christiana Mall.

It’s a 24" deep and high tank on a 4" riser so getting to the back of the rocks is tricky, a 3’ wand would certainly make it an easier endevour.

If you’re ever in the area on a Sunday and need to kill some majano for practice give me a yell.

I enjoyed zapping stuff at the last meeting and have tons of stuff in my tank to zap. Would you consider renting or making and selling me one of these things? :-)###

I also have a bunch of things to zap and would be interested.

same here!

It seems like you could have a buisness venture.

[quote=“Scottman81, post:11, topic:6375”]
It seems like you could have a buisness venture.[/quote]
Hahaha apparently…

I’ll be around this weekend and I wouldn’t mind checking out some of your tanks, maybe pick up some frags. If you guys are within a 30 min drive from New Castle, PM your address and phone # and what times this weekend your free and maybe we can work something out.

Since so many people are interested, I suggest doing a group build session and purchasing the materials together to keep the cost low. The only 2 challenging steps are soldering and grinding the Ti to a point because Ti is so tough. You need some kind of grinding wheel, disk sander, belt sander, etc. to grind the Ti down. It will work without a point, but I like to jab it into those pest!!

I would love to have one of these. If anyone else wants to group buy, post here so we have a idea how many people are interested. Frying stuff is lots of fun! :-)### :-)### :-)###