DRC events this fall (please give feedback)

rude or not, it was f-in HILARIOUS. i get a good precentage of the sly humor on here. keeps me comin back.

well, if u guys want a little tip on running the clubs, there is one of the popular magazines that has a society/club tip section every month, i believe its TFH.
also, i have never been to a meeting, but from what i hear on the boards, it seems that u guys need to find something a little more interesting than shooting the %#(% with each other and a lecture. It would be fun to have debates on which filtration methods you use or standby
berlin methods/refugiums/zeo etc…
or introduce new things that people havent heard of or realy understand, such as the new zeo methods and what they really encompass. have a product spotlight on a hot new product and have club members decide whether it blows or it could really be usefull.
u could do calcium reactors vs two part
skimming vs fuges
denitrification methods
methods of maintaining stable ph
explain the relationship of ph, alk, calc, and mg and why one effects the other
all in all make these a group thing and not someone up on stage explaining everything, let others chime in there questions and input

also activity wise, plan group trips to stores/aquariums some members may not have been, plan showing of other peoples tanks at there homes where we can all see,
have a FRAG FEST! everyone goes in on a few corals and everyone gets a frag!

well, this here forum is always open for requests of meeting topics. anything can be discussed. some things could be demos, and sometimes perhaps a guest speaker, like Julian Sprung not long ago. just need a flurry of interest on a topic and see what can be done.

Ive built a bunch of the acrylic tanks im using right now. Al is working on building a rimless glass tank now. Shawn has demoed many of his tank control systems. Everybody has done something new. I think we have some resources. pick a topic. lets see what we can discuss. or places to go and see. im always ready for a trip.

Like Number Five said in Short Circuit:

Input! Need More Input!

Like Number Five said in Short Circuit

When those guys beat the snot out of Johnny Five with crowbars and pipes…I cried…i mustve been like 5. lOl

Back to topic.

First I appreciate all of the comments left so far.

I completely 100% agree that Mr. Brightwell would be a great speaker to have at a meeting. GolfCI personally would be psyched if he could make it. PBJ! I have started communication with Brightwell Aquatics and will look into the possibility of having Mr. Brightwell speak with the club. Well let everyone know what I hear back. If I don’t hear anything by MACNA I will try to talk with him there.

addicted2reefin I love the idea for the debates. Just need to pick a couple for the next meeting.

[quote=“addicted2reefin, post:22, topic:2060”]
plan showing of other peoples tanks at there homes where we can all see, [/quote]

[table][tr][td]_______________[/td][td][center][glow=red,2,300]Announcing the November Reef Club event of the month. [/glow] [/center]

We’ll be meeting at addicted2reefin’s house where we will be showing of his tank via a tank tour. If anyone would like to bring food please bring enough for the 50 people which are expected. [/td][td]_______________[/td][/tr][/table]

:wink: It is easy to say we should show off other peoples tanks at there homes. It was even recommended in the past we have all our meetings at peoples houses. Problem is it is not always easy to get volunteers. I recently invited the club over to my home. Who is next?

As far as the acrylic tank building demo stuff Armco Aquatics is open for the club to use if we give notice a good bit in advance. We’ll keep this DIYS demo in mind when we are working on the schedule, but I know it won’t fit in during the next two months. Ken would you be willing to construct a tank? Perhaps we could do a small tank which could be used for either a frag tank or a nano and it could be auctioned/raffled off and picked up at a later date…. Shoot me an e-mail Ken and we’ll try to work out the details.

[quote=“moliken, post:10, topic:2060”]
aquascaping for safety, and beauty, maybe using pvc.[/quote]

Well I don’t think any of use are going to give a lecture in what we could consider beauty, but perhaps this could be an open discussion where everyone could give there opinions and share experiences.

it takes me several days to put one together. cutting all the pieces, assemble and tape and then many glue applications and curing. but the basics can be presented. and tools and materials.

Well what we could do is have all the pieces, but one cut before hand. So you could cut the final piece and then start gluing. Or maybe no cutting at all if it is simple to do and nothing special needs to be demonstrated. We could do it as the last thing of the night, so you could continue to work on it until you get to a breaking point after the meeting is officially over. It could be finished at another date.

We could figure out something. There is a VERY big interest in doing this. This topic has been brought up a lot in the past and Ken currently you’re the man… unless is there anyone else in the club that has done this successfully?

glueing takes me two days. and materials cost a hundred dollars. i would just bring in one 30 gallon i made and discuss the steps.

ken, i either need weldon or mcbond, or methylene chloride and acetic acid, where can i get some acrylic glue around here? other then the 'net.

o ya, jon i wasnt saying about having a meeting at someones house, but as a side event for a half hour or so, that people could show off there tanks.
no refreshments, no talk, no debates, just hi how are u heres my tank NOW GTFO!!! >::: >::: >:::

i live in a cramped apartment, but i wouldnt mind showing off my tank once i get everything straighten out.

o yea, im getting ready to build a few kalk reactors, i could explain and demonstrate building on out of pvc and acryic, or show how to make a professional looking geo reactor. the pvc/acrylic combo reactor is about 20-30 for materials and the professional reactor is about 60-70 for materials.
i found a nice site that has sweet deals on extruded acrylic tube. 4" runs about 8 bucks a foot

Well, locally, I buy my 4 oz cans of weldon 3 or 4 and tubes of thickened weldon 16, and applicator bottles at Kaufman Glass, on Quigley, accross from the back side of new castle farmers market. they sell Acrylic too, but usually in whole 4’ x 8’ sheets. you can find them in the yellow pages. and of course they sell and cut glass for a custom rimless aquarium you might want to build. but last i talked to them they werent interested in building it themselves. just sell and cut glass, or acrylic. you do it yourself.

I dont know where you get 4 inch acrylic tub in any thickness for 8 bucks a foot. prices have come down since oil has come down. but you can compare relative prices on this site.

plus shipping. I cant say i have ever bought from them. so I don’t know thier service.

We do have periodic tank tours through out the year. as volunteers proudly present their tanks for viewing. usually on a weekend. Sometimes we have scheduled 2 or 3 tank tours at a time. on the good days. and wagon train between sites. an hour or so each. Snacks and refreshments…optional.

[quote=“longballz84, post:7, topic:2060”]

1. The proper way to mount/frag certain corals[/quote]

Have a couple in mind? Trying to think of what frags to do and they all seem to simple and easy. Any particulars you are interested in?