DRC events this fall (please give feedback)

The first meeting of the year is approaching quickly.(9/21) I just wanted to get some feedback from our forum members about what sort of content they would like to see at this meeting and at others this fall.

We are planning two events every month for this fall with the possible exception of December. There will be regular meetings at the same time and place every third Monday of the month. In addition to the meetings, a second event is to be held on a different day of the week at a different location. To spread things out, we are hoping to have several events south of New Castle county. The second events will include trips, tank tours, and so on.

It is not difficult at all for us to talk for hours and hours about tanks and I could come up with several topics I could easily give presentations on, but I would like to hear what everyone would like to see at the meetings.

To get this started here is a short list of some of the things we have had in the last year.

• DIYS demo on ATO
  • DIYS demo on kalk stirrer/doser
  • DIYS presentation on making your on food
  • Lecture on planted aquaria and macros
  • Lecture on Mantis shrimp
  • Lecture on the Xeniidae family
  • Plumbing presentation on over flow boxes

So what would everyone like to see at this falls meetings?

explanation of types of lighting/bulbs/par/kelvin/penetration [of light in water, not the other kind, Ian, Craig, etc, minds in the gutter] plus general species requirements for light.

Good thinking, it has been several years since that has been discussed at length. The president four terms ago gave a great presentation on this. I personally don’t think I know the topic well enough to give an informative presentation, but perhaps someone else will step up.

Other thoughts?

How about small lexture on chemical additions, like whats needed and really not need to maintain a health reef tank. I know of the three and why but there may be new people that need to know and the purpose. Equal dosing of calcium,alkalinity and magnesium, and how routine water change are benifit even if we all don’t practice them the way they should be done (Shawn excluded) :stuck_out_tongue: One more note how about since most of the chemicals are expensive, what common stuff that can be picked up and used around a reef tank. Like baking soda, epsome salts etc.

bill are a genius. great topics.

I think for those of us who have been to DRC meetings regularly for a couple of years we might roll our eyes at thinking about discussing addatives. However I personally think with the number of new people constantly joining the club and the hobby this information is very valuable. That and if anyone else is like me it takes more then one reading of a good article on this topic or hearing people talk about it repeatedly until I really got a grasp on it.

Instead of trying to give a complete and lengthy lecture perhaps a short overview with a longer Q&A which will stick to more basic level stuff.(Meaning if only two out of 30 people even understand what the current discussion is about it would be stopped short and we’ll let Shawn and Ian discuss afterwards, or I mean who ever is in the conversation. :wink: ) I’ll try to get an overview together and have it ready at either the Sept. or more likely Oct meeting.

Good call Bill.

What else people?

1. The proper way to mount/frag certain corals
  2. Algaes that can go sexual and what this means
  3. Tips for keeping nano/pico reefs
  4. and DIY anything…

also Jon that bingo game you mentioned at a meeting a while ago using the species names would be neat too…

i would really like to see someone put a small tank together during a meeting if that would be physically possible…something small just as a model, like a 12"*12"*12"…

and i would also like to see someone elses technique with drilling live rock…ill have to post some picks of what i did recently…i just got a water resistant phone ive been dipping in the tank, but i know the salts going to kill it…its only my work phone, lol

Brightwell Aquatics has a zeolith based “system” (Neo Zeo) that’s similar to zeovit. And they’re somewhat local. I’d be interested in letting them have some time @ a meeting to cover that.

aquascaping for safety, and beauty, maybe using pvc.

I like the idea about proper frag techniques and i personally would love to learn how to make an ato system if anyone else has interest b/c I tried a cheapo over the summer and it didn’t work out to well and I need one before I head off for thanksgiving break :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally, i care less about topics of meetings and much more about doing anything signicant with the club. I get little more from club meeting than i get from BSing with clubmembers at my house, LFS, or on the boards. I dont say this to be cynical, rather i mean it in the most constructive way. There have been a lot of ideas in the past, but for a lot of reasons i wont go into, nothing comes from them. This has sort of become the MO for the DRC. I know the summer is a slow time, but even before its obvious that our turnouts are inconsistent at best and we some to lose the participation of a decent amount of senior members for various reasons. The upside is that the club seems to be attracting a lot new members and i feel that it should finally be capitalized on. Simply put, i dont care what we do, i just want to do something a little more significant than listening to a lecture once a month and BSing with my friends in a HS cafeteria. Again, i dont mean this in a negative way. I have a lot of people i consider to be good friends in this club and i obviously enjoy the meetings enough to keep coming, but personally i REALY want to see some change. Specifically, i would like to see more growth, more organization, more community involvement(heck, i would settle for any community involvement), and more events. Significant, well organized events that make you proud to be a DRC members.

I know none of these are new, and most have been discussed at length at different times behind the scenes. However, since im no longer a part of the goings-on of the club i wanted to share my thoughts as a regular member. Again, my criticism is constructive and my motivation for the post is a hope to initiate positive change and not to bash.

I agree with shawn but I think that Just because we gathered together for event should not mean we dont have a meeting for that month… and Shawn why does it say Ianh is your life coach? considering you both dont really talk to each other.

[quote=“longballz84, post:8, topic:2060”]
i would really like to see someone put a small tank together during a meeting if that would be physically possible…something small just as a model, like a 12"*12"*12"…

and i would also like to see someone elses technique with drilling live rock…ill have to post some picks of what i did recently…i just got a water resistant phone ive been dipping in the tank, but i know the salts going to kill it…its only my work phone, lol[/quote]

Although it would be cool it is not possible to make a tank and then move it. It takes time to cure/harden. If this was to be done it would have to be done at someones house so it could sit.

[quote=“Starryn1ght420, post:13, topic:2060”]
I agree with shawn but I think that Just because we gathered together for event should not mean we dont have a meeting for that month… and Shawn why does it say Ianh is your life coach? considering you both dont really talk to each other.[/quote]

its completely sarcastic… i read the computer post they got into. pretty entertaining stuff. kinda like wathing a fight on the spanish channel. u have no idea what they r saying, but damn it’s getting good! i just know it!

[quote=“a1amap, post:14, topic:2060”]

[quote=“longballz84, post:8, topic:2060”]

and i would also like to see someone elses technique with drilling live rock…ill have to post some picks of what i did recently…i just got a water resistant phone ive been dipping in the tank, but i know the salts going to kill it…its only my work phone, lol[/quote]

Although it would be cool it is not possible to make a tank and then move it. It takes time to cure/harden. If this was to be done it would have to be done at someones house so it could sit.[/quote]

was this meant as “building” a tank itself? or assembling the components… i.e. filter, skimmer, hood, aquascape, substrate… etc?

was this meant as "building" a tank itself? or assembling the components... i.e. filter, skimmer, hood, aquascape, substrate... etc?

yea i was talking about the actual construction of a tank…i know it couldnt be moved that soon, maybe if we had another meeting at armco and the guy didnt mind, something like this maybe work…i just want to see the prep., silicone, and clamp/tape process.

i would also like to see the official launch of the DRC Chat Room this year also!!!

[quote=“fishguy9, post:15, topic:2060”]

[quote=“Starryn1ght420, post:13, topic:2060”]
I agree with shawn but I think that Just because we gathered together for event should not mean we dont have a meeting for that month… and Shawn why does it say Ianh is your life coach? considering you both dont really talk to each other.[/quote]

its completely sarcastic… i read the computer post they got into. pretty entertaining stuff. kinda like wathing a fight on the spanish channel. u have no idea what they r saying, but damn it’s getting good! i just know it![/quote]

Lol thats funny.

its completely sarcastic.... i read the computer post they got into. pretty entertaining stuff. kinda like wathing a fight on the spanish channel. u have no idea what they r saying, but damn it's getting good! i just know it!

I feel so much better that at least one person gets my humor. Geez, i got to such great lengths to share my comedic stylings with this forum and it seems that it gets lost in translation more times than not. Either that, or im just not as funny as i think i am!

Im glad you got it fishguy, i thought i was going to have to resort to abusing emoticons. I was thinking of something like this.

lOl :-)lol >LOL< YahoO ;D lOl :-)lol >LOL< “random funny comment” lOl :-)lol >LOL< YahoO ;D lOl :-)lol

well sarcastic or not i still find it rude.

uh…sorry ???