Drilling a 40gal breeder

Hi, My name is Chris and I live in Middletown. I’m retired. I’m new to this hobby and will be starting with a 40gal breeder. I want to try to drill it myself. I’m going to use an Eshops-S overflow box. It’s an outside box with a Herbie drain. It comes with a template for drilling the hole. My question is: Where do I drill the return hole? How far from the rim? How far from the edge? I’ll be using an Eheim 1260 (634gph). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hey GentC! Welcome to the club!

You don’t have to drill a hole for the return if you don’t want to. You could just run the pipe up and over the top of the tank rim. That’s what I do on my tank. The general rule of thumb for drilling is that you stay the width of the hole away from the edge. If you drill a 2" hole, stay 2" away from the edge to the outside of the hole (aka 4" from the center of the hole to the edge).

Not sure if you already have the tank/equipment but ericdaman has a 40 breeder already drilled that he is trying to sell. His post is on the most recent posts. Otherwise if your doing it yourself I agree with Adam (TheEngineer).

Remember to plan your return plumbing as you need a syphon break at the surface or the tank will drain to the return depth when the return pump is off

Thanks Mortyn. I have already purchased the tank.

Engineer I’m going to take your advice and run the return over the top rim.

I meant to thank you too Engineer. Thanks again.

Good luck!

Stop by the meeting on Monday and introduce yourself!