Freshwater dip vs formalin

My powder blue tang has got external parasites. I’m pretty sure it’s Trichodina

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/10/aafeature1

Recommended treatment is a formalin or fresh water dip. What do u guys think is better?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I would try the FW dip with some methylene blue, and place the fish in a QT and observe. Are you noticing anything on your other fish?

I have never had any luck with poweder blue tangs. They seem fragile imo. Good luck i hope it works out for you and the fish

[quote=“Downbeach, post:2, topic:8676”]
I would try the FW dip with some methylene blue, and place the fish in a QT and observe. Are you noticing anything on your other fish?[/quote]
Nope, none of the other fish have anything.

How long do you dip for? You use pure RODI water right?

[quote=“beadlocked450r, post:3, topic:8676”]
I have never had any luck with poweder blue tangs. They seem fragile imo. Good luck i hope it works out for you and the fish[/quote]
I’ve always had good luck with pbt. He’s still eating really good so I’m hopeful he’ll pull through.

[quote=“bnelson, post:4, topic:8676”]

[quote=“Downbeach, post:2, topic:8676”]
I would try the FW dip with some methylene blue, and place the fish in a QT and observe. Are you noticing anything on your other fish?[/quote]
Nope, none of the other fish have anything.

How long do you dip for? You use pure RODI water right?[/quote]

Yes, use plain RO/DI water, but adjust for pH and temperature and add an air stone to the container. Follow the directions for the Methylene Blue. I used to use a 5 gal. bucket and a plastic colander and a lid. I would dip for > 5 min. and keep an eye on the fish, if it gets really distressed (thrashing), remove it and place it in the QT. Its not unusual for it to lay on its side.

What do u use to adjust pH? Baking soda and vinegar?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

[quote=“bnelson, post:7, topic:8676”]
What do u use to adjust pH? Baking soda and vinegar?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk[/quote]

I used to use a commercially available marine pH buffer, i.e. Seachem, Brightwell, etc.