GFO? Carbon? Anyone?

Does anyone use carbon or GFO in thier tanks to keep algae down? My little 40 gallon seahorse tank has all kinds of algae in it due to the seahorses not eating all the food. I feed 1/2 a cube of mysis (which is about 2/3rd the size of a normal cube) twice a day. The protein skimmer does well and I do about 5-10 gallons bi-weekly on water changes but the hair algae is everywhere. So I started thinking about using a supplement such as GFO or a product offered by BRS called ZEOvit…Carbon well, just to keep the water crystal clear. :-)###

Carbon wont help the algea, sounds to me like you need a cuc and find the cause of the algea. Is it from light being on too long? Phosphate issues? Over feeding? High nitrates?

I also run carbon and gfo in 2 seperate reactors, i change it monthly or so when i remember too, i dont have any alge issues so i could prob stop running it and still not have an issue due to the fuge and everything else i have going on.

It’s my small seahorse tank that I’m having issue with. I got a Red Sea Max all in one system so it doesn’t have a fuge in it. So I thought about running a bag of GFO in a media bag to see if that helps pull out the phosphates. The lights are on (different intensities) for about 11 hours a day with a full peak of about 30 min or so ( approx 40% of 90 watt LED) I do feed the tank heavy due to the seahorses metabolism. They require a little more care when feeding and they don’t digest food like other fish. The big set up is ok but I thought about just putting a reactor on it to help a little more because of the high fish population.

Well, the GFO will soak up the phoshates. instead of carbon, i have always used SeaChem Purigen 100 ml pouches. a small packet, about 3 x 5 inches sealed poly fabric filled with the Purigen beads. they absorb much more organic waste than carbon. and you regenerate them with a bleach bath and then a dechlor soak. they last a long time . small, compact, can fit in an overflow or sock. Ive had some last years and dozens of regen cleanings. they help. so does a refugium.