got good at water paramaters, why waste the skill? beer...

You may be wondering where Tim has been for some time now, well, getting out of reefing (at least for now) I’ve focused my energy on something much more… well… rewarding… BEER!!! :BEER BoNg BoNg

I’ve been brewing since Febrewary (I know how I spelt it)

so far, a double IPA 9.3%, a belgian tripel 9.2%, a chocolate stout, 6.4%, a extra IPA 8.4%, and now I have fermenting a black american IPA 6.5%

:BEER :BEER :BEER BoNg BoNg BoNg

Nice! To get an unmuddled, finished brew, do you just let it settle and then decant off or do you filter it?

Ken, if the brewer is carbonating in the bottle (bottle conditioned), then there will always be sediment. A small ammount of sugar is added at bottling. This sugar reactivates the yeast after the beer is bottled, there is nowhere for the CO2 to go, so it carbonates the beer. The yeast eventually floculates out of suspension and you’re left with the sediment at the bottom. You can try to pour a bottle conditioned beer where you stop pouring as the yeast starts to mix with your pour, wasting some beer, but if you have someone who doesn’t like cloudy beer, it helps.

Best way to get clear beer via homebrew is to bottle from a keg. Adding a filter before the beer is kegged will make the bear “brighter”, but at additional expense and most don’t go that route.

Looking good Tim. Extract brewing sofar, or are you dabbling with allgrain?

Ken, you’re talking to the wine and beer brew master there you know. Good to hear from you Rob.

Extract and all grain, I know that an alfredo sauce is an alfredo sauce so coming into the game 800 years later someone’s done it already… but I have modified my own hops/sugar levels enough to call them my own.

bottle conditioning is the way to go, it also eliminates off flavors over time and carbonates better than co2 injection in my opinion.

this is the first flight (4 beers) of #HughesBrews

Double / Extra / Black IPA’s…someone is hooked on HOPS!

I had Cascade / EKG / Perle / Willamette growing on a 17’ tall hop trellis here at the house before we put it up for sale. Probably have some Cascade Rhizomes if you want any. (free) The rest of them just went to my buddy who was previously working at Yards in Philly, got a house in KENT county DE so he switched over to working for Fordham.

I’ve got two Igloo coolers converted to Mash Tun with Stainless false bottom, and a Hot Liquor tank. Built up a stir plate out of an old PC fan, Cellphone Charger, and a Radio Shack project box. Great for making yeast starters on the cheap.

Little light on the carbonation on the brew next to the stout? Just a bad bottle, or maybe it went into the fridge too soon?

Beers look great Tim, keep it up!

I worked at Terrapin Station Winery as Vineyard Manager / Wine Maker for 5yrs, but Beer has always been the passion.

Good to see you hangin’ around too A! Fist Bump? —> JuMp ThIs

[quote=“Faralon, post:6, topic:8158”]
Double / Extra / Black IPA’s…someone is hooked on HOPS!

I had Cascade / EKG / Perle / Willamette growing on a 17’ tall hop trellis here at the house before we put it up for sale. Probably have some Cascade Rhizomes if you want any. (free) The rest of them just went to my buddy who was previously working at Yards in Philly, got a house in KENT county DE so he switched over to working for Fordham.

I’ve got two Igloo coolers converted to Mash Tun with Stainless false bottom, and a Hot Liquor tank. Built up a stir plate out of an old PC fan, Cellphone Charger, and a Radio Shack project box. Great for making yeast starters on the cheap.

Little light on the carbonation on the brew next to the stout? Just a bad bottle, or maybe it went into the fridge too soon?

Beers look great Tim, keep it up!

I worked at Terrapin Station Winery as Vineyard Manager / Wine Maker for 5yrs, but Beer has always been the passion.[/quote]

second from right is only 3 days in bottle, I just had to drink one and it made it official flight… it was amazing flat, can’t wait to see it in 2 weeks!

I am buying a house in Hockessin off old wilmington road, I will be making my basement a freaking brewery lol!

here is the new house, closing is in less than a month!

Very Nice! Hmmm, is that a salt water pool? looks like a hammer head swimming under the diving board?