Hanging MH

So I just picked up a 72’ MH fixture and I am curious how high I should mount it. I don’t want to have to run my chiller constantly to keep the tank cool enough. The tank is 37’ deep with corals spread throughout all depths.

What size metal halides and what kelvin are you running?? I have double ended 15k phonix 250s bulbs over mine but its 28 inches tall

10 inches off the water

This was mine about 13 years ago, using the mounting brackets that were designed for it. The lamps were 10K MH with actinic PC’s…some yellow, huh. No canopy, had a clip on fan over the sump and plugged into a Pinpoint dual stage temperature controller, but it rarely ran, and I think it was more because of the heat from the magnetic ballasts that were in the stand.

Three 250s 20k

How big is your tank?
20 k is nice but to get light down to the bottom you may wanna chane the kelvin or you may to add some suppliment as well being 37 inches deep twards the bottom will be kinda dim

84x24x37

Lenth of the light should be ok, as far as height off the tank gonna need to be close to the water surface .

What are you keeping in the tank that is gonna matter as well if its gonna be a fish tank only not really gonna matter , if your doing soft corals tou will be ok if your doing sps may be little more difficult
Howhigh is your rock stucture in the tank?

I have a mix of mostly every type of corals but more softies. My rocks go all the way up to around 4 inches from the top

Id try just experimenting with heights then , id start with 10-12 inches off and then go from there.

I have decided 14 inches is the height I like most. The only one that didn’t like it was my clam. Who I saw strolling across my sandbed last night