hats off to new era at the fishbowl

You guys are a welcome breath of fresh air to that place…!!
If i may give some good advice : why not go back to having a separate system for the anemones/inverts…then you could run copper in your fish system to keep the parasties down.
And people could have confidence when buying anemones -that they would not be hosting ich or some other ectoparasite…
I worked in 2 lfs back in the late 70’s and early 80’s…this is not armchair quarterbacking I am doing here…
If I owned the store it would be the first thing I would do…

thanks a million for the kind words… we have actually discussed parasite control and prevention. but with the way we do some stuff, and the different things our customers do almost makes it impossible to do.
ex.
-she (terry aka mom) likes to keep her clowns with her anemones…

-some of our customers don’t net the fish from the bags into their tanks, nor do they have q/t tanks. so copper would be added to an unknowing customers reef or fowlr tank this way.

-we keep some of our liverock in our livestock tanks just for decoration and to ease the fish. so copper absorbed into the rock could be transfered to the customers tank…

just a few off the top of my head. but we do everything we can to make sure we sell the healthiest fish we can. our distributors, we have dealt with for 15 years or better. (most of them) we are constantly looking over the fish, and monitoring how well everyone is eating especially. and Q/T anything looking suspicious. granted, it’s not 100% fool proof, but it has seemed to work thus far.

thanks you for the idea though. believe me, we ALWAYS appreciate and welcome any ideas/input. and it’s a really good feeling to know we ARE making a difference. and SOMEONE noticed!!! lolol keep looking for more improvements, the store still has many future plans to come. and hopefully we keep it moving in the right direction.

You guys have definitely made a big different so far. I for one, would like to see more coral.

I can’t wait until I am able to make a trip down to see the store.

Its a trip best made on a day that they get a new shipment in :slight_smile:

Its amusing that that is how I schedule when I visit a LFS. Well, that and when payday is…

[quote=“Adictedtoswf, post:3, topic:1167”]
You guys have definitely made a big different so far. I for one, would like to see more coral.[/quote]
believe me, we ARE trying… for instance, today, we ordered 4 different corals. got 1!!! she keeps bumping the order a little at a time. figuring that, one of these time EVERYTHING will come in, and that could hurt depending on price and space we have in the display tanks.
also, its kind of tough to keep a fine balance of easier common stuff for the newer reefers/ lower lighting setups, and the harder more exotic stuff for the veterans and higher lighting setups…
anything particular??? we sometimes shy away from the more expensive stuff simply for the fact that, who wants to drop 100 bucks on a piece of coral??

[quote=“icy1155, post:5, topic:1167”]
Its a trip best made on a day that they get a new shipment in :slight_smile:

Its amusing that that is how I schedule when I visit a LFS. Well, that and when payday is…[/quote]
believe me, u r not the only one. one of the major things we are working on is finding a decent distributor to get livestock on fridays. all 3 shipments come monday, tuesday, and wednesday. that kind of kills the selection for the weekend shoppers. which is when we see more of the traveling hobbyists…

Keep up the good woik. According to our guys, Yous guys seem to be making good progress , even in this bad economy, which seems to be drying up shoppers everywhere. Your advantage is there are few other aquarium stores down in lower , slower Delaware. So you should had a supportive Reefer base to encourage yous guys!

Every aquarists likes to cruise a fish store for nice things to add to their tank. The trick is to keep them happy and inquisitive, to keep them coming back with a revovling inventory of new livestock. There has to be a zillion FW and SW tanks down there at all those beach resort rental homes. You know, to create the Ambiance of the Sheeore! Or am I thinking of Nu Joy-zee? They have lots of reef rental tanks over there. and fish stores.

All that should afford you the opportunity to stock a variety of live stock for both commercial and home reefer alike.

Good luck in the coming sales Tsunami.

[quote=“Adictedtoswf, post:3, topic:1167”]
I for one, would like to see more coral.[/quote]

If you stop in tonight you’ll see it. I went by and saw some real nice stuff. To bad I have to save the money from the other day for lights… there was a nice candycane frag and a frag of something that even I couldnt ID in there that I would have walked out with among the other stuff.

so what’s really in stock, a list like last time would be nice??

wow, sorry paul. will get one together and post up… been slippin buddy!!!