Help ID

We received an ORA aquacultured Derasa Clam that had hundreds of little holes on the side of its shell. I noticed little brown worms peeking out the other day. I’m assuming it’s bad. Any ideas?

Jason

Never had a clam with that but have seen shells like that. There are boating worms that do just that and feed on the clam mantel
Not sure where you got it from but would call them and let them know

If the clam seems health you can try fresh water dipping it do see that kills the worms

I feel like I’ve seen hundreds of shells that look Iike this washed up on the beach. It’s from an ORA shipment of “aquacultured” clams. Not sure if they are actually maricultured and harvested or from an inland facility.

Boring sponges infestation

Regardless of what it is it probably not healthy for the clam and I would contact the seller

If its ok with you, I can call Dustin (The owner of ORA) and find out. Send me an email at my name here @ gmail and I will give him a ring. I bet it is not from their stock.

And include the picture

Jason, definitely get in touch with the place you got it from. Who cares where it came from , it is in your tank now. Ask for a replacement.

Just to clarify… This clam came into Petco directly from ORA. It’s in a Petco tank and I’ve refused to sell it while it’s under observation. I’ve been giving the clam a freshwater rinse and use a toothbrush on its shell every few days. the sponges or whatever they are appear to be dying off and clam seems healthy after almost an entire month at the store. And yes, it came in an ORA box with an ORA packing slip and matched the ORA order I made the week prior. It’s an ORA AC Gold Derasa and it’s on display at Petco, not in my tank.