Help with clowns

So ive had 2 picassos in separate parts of my display for about a year. I decided to try and get them to bond, one is slightly larger than the other. About 2 months ago, i placed them in the center section of my fuge (about 15 gallons with a few live rocks and clay pots. Within a couple days, the larger established dominance and the smaller got submissive. They swim around together fine and only rarely the larger displays dominance. At first the smaller had fin nips and this was to be expected but he didnt have meat chunks taken out. I have noticed though the past few weeks, his color isnt as vibrant. I presume its not a disease since theyve never left the same system in a year. Anyone know what it could be? I have pics but cant upload them here. The larger one is as bright in color as always

Stress

Getting picked on, bitten, and bullied will have a detrimental effect on their overall health which impacts their color.

If they are still in the fuge, I would remove them. Let them live where they want to and don’t try to force nature.

I dont want to put them back in display unless they are paired only for the fact that i already have a pair of clowns in there and dont want them getting beaten up indovidually

Were they getting picked on by the other clowns when they were originally in the DT?

I fear that you’re headed in to a dilemma. IF they pair while in the sump, you will still run the risk of them getting bullied by the existing clowns as they will now be intruding on established territory. From the description given it sounds like the smaller clown is severely stressed and you’ll run the risk of it dying. If it dies, then you still have to introduce the remaining (female) clown back in to the display tank which already has a female with a mate and an established territory.

By keeping them in the sump now, you’re allowing one to sex which eliminates any possible re-introduction in to the display tank without a very significant possibility of aggression and death.

None of the clowns were paired in the tank and the two in the dt (snowflake/regular have paired since and hosting a hammer. The picassos i plan on putting in a separate breeding tank.

Well if the plan is to put them in a seperate tank, I’d suggest doing it sooner than later. It sounds like 1 fish is extremely stressed and is not being afforded a safe place to run off too when the larger fish decides to show its dominance.

+1, your better to get them into a bigger space so they dont fight for the little bit they have now.

Craig you cant leave us!!!