Help with tank plumbing

Hi, My old Bud Walt is looking for some help. his back is too out of whack to tote buckets anymore. hes wondering if anyone has some time to help install some water change lines for his FW tanks. heres his email.

Hi all DSAS & Reef Club members and friends…

I hate to bother you all. But, I can’t get on my hands and knees anymore to do simple chores/jobs around the house. So, I could use a little help to run two small (maybe 3/16") water lines to my sunroom…for the two fish tanks. I need to make water changing easier. Right now, I have a hose going to a tank with a home made PVC overflow running out the door to the deck. There has got to be a better way to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The wife made me take it out and hook it up to the outside hose connection. She didn’t like the hose running from the other side of the house in the laundry room…thru the den and kitchen and dining room to the sun room.

Thanks

Walt Wisowaty, VP
Diamond State Aquarium Society
Delaware City, DE
(302) 834-4138
Web-Site: http://dsas.topcities.com/

if so, give him a call.

[quote=“kaptken, post:1, topic:4734”]
Hi, My old Bud Walt is looking for some help. his back is too out of whack to tote buckets anymore. hes wondering if anyone has some time to help install some water change lines for his FW tanks. heres his email.

Hi all DSAS & Reef Club members and friends…

I hate to bother you all. But, I can’t get on my hands and knees anymore to do simple chores/jobs around the house. So, I could use a little help to run two small (maybe 3/16") water lines to my sunroom…for the two fish tanks. I need to make water changing easier. Right now, I have a hose going to a tank with a home made PVC overflow running out the door to the deck. There has got to be a better way to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The wife made me take it out and hook it up to the outside hose connection. She didn’t like the hose running from the other side of the house in the laundry room…thru the den and kitchen and dining room to the sun room.

Thanks

Walt Wisowaty, VP
Diamond State Aquarium Society
Delaware City, DE
(302) 834-4138
Web-Site: http://dsas.topcities.com/

if so, give him a call.[/quote]
hey ken,
i’m no good at that stuff, but logan’s daddy installed one on my tank that’s real easy to work with and probably nada for someone mechanically inclined to make. the worst part is drilling 2 holes in a reservoir tank.

i can run the plumbing if i can find time drilling the tank i have no exp. and wouldn’t attempt it but plumbing is cake. can we run 1/4 in ro tubing to the tank with a float valve?

i dont think he plans to drill the tanks. a 75 and 90. he has some old water change gizmos that your run fresh water in and they syphon a like amount out down the drain without overflowingthe tank. just run some tubing for water and drain lines. the sun room with the tanks is above a crawl space off the basement.

perhaps we can drop by for a looksy one day and see what it might take to run some tubing.

Has he tried a python?? Sounds kind of like what he was doing already, except it’s not homemade and maybe a bit more trustworthy? What’s the problem with running the hose through the house? I’ve been using a python for YEARS and have never had a leak and then you just roll it up and hang on a hook when you’re done. I would think it would make much more sense and be MUCH cheaper to just use that than to plumb lines just for water changes. How far are the tanks from the nearest sink?

Is it a common practice to plumb lines just for water changes? Just seems a bit extreme to me.

He wants it to be easy we could just run an icemaker line to the tank with a 1/4" ball valve and done. Basement will have all the water lines.

So how will that work exactly if he’s not drilling the tanks? Is he still going to have to siphon out the old water? Not judging, just curious.

What kind of fish does he have?

I may be wrong, but it sounds like he is not concerned about doing the siphon or cleaning just can not lift buckets so needs a local nice looking supply and drain ?

EEEEK!!! I can’t imagine anyone doing water changes with buckets anymore!! That sounds absolutely hellish. I didn’t know anyone still did that.

My siphon hooks up to a sink (I use my bathroom sink) and you turn the faucet on which in turn causes a pretty decent amount of suction to begin. I suck out all the poop from the gravel which goes down the sink drain and when I’m done with that I just make an adjustment at the sink and it closes off the suction and fresh tap water goes straight to the tank from the sink. I have well water so I don’t treat it. Takes 20 minutes at most to change the water in my 120 gallon.

<3 this: http://www.pythonproducts.com/aqprod.html The lady in the picture looks like she’s straight from the 80’s but ignore that…They sell it at petsmart. You can buy extensions in 25 ft lengths I think. No leaks, no mess, no plumbing changes. In my previous house I used a 75 ft hose with no loss of suction. In my current house my tank is much closer to a sink.

Don’t know this guy, his tank and house set up or anything but just a thought if you haven’t heard of the python before. Can’t imagine this being any more difficult than what the current plans are to make it easier on him. Takes almost no skills or effort to use. Plus, he would get a cleaner tank if he siphoned the substrate. Might not work that well if his tanks are planted though, but like I said, not sure what the set up is. If his wife doesn’t like a hose running through the house then she won’t like the python either :TWOCENTS

Nope, he has some old school syphon gizmos that takes water out at the same rate it puts water in at the same time. never overflows or drains the tank. the company went out of business about 10 years ago. but he had some old stock. and even found one on ebay recently for 10 bucks. no drilling,. just hang it on the tank and turn on the faucet and have the drain line go to the drain. i forget the name of it. I’;ll ask again.

So if I get some time who will give me a little help running these water lines?

I’ll help you Tim . I’ll trade my labor for that big a$$ clam you just stole ::thumbsup::

Hmmm… ::thinking:: so evidently if you put an a followed by two dollar signs when you hit post it comes up as “(heiney)”

Ha ha heiny

Yeah, this software cracks my fucking bitch ass up! shit, my dick pussy

hey john, don’t you use your chair to generate electricity to power up the software? ::hitsthefan::

well, Walt has been able to install a couple TEEs with ball valves to run off of in the basement. hes still fiddling with what to do next. I’ll keep you posted. Walt was at the meeting monday night for a little while until his back starting hurting again. he had the little plexi guppy tank with him.

Let him know I can help. Just been busy we can run an ice maker line with a ball valve I think that’ll work fine. If 1/4 isn’t enough flow then we can do 3/8