high levels of KH

i was hoping he would be on. he’ll probably be on here later.

dnc15, what is your “high” dKH?

I’ll throw my :TWOCENTS until we hear from Jon.

Xenia is very finicky about water quality, it does not take long for xenia to head south when something goes wrong. I always used my xenia as the proverbial canary. When something was out of whack my xenia was always the first to show signs of stress.

Your xenia probably just crapped out due to an extremely fast increase in KH. I think the issue came about because you dosed 2 seperate items designed to do abou the same thing. Purple Up is designed to raise calcium and alkalinity to a point that coraline gets a shot of steroids. You also added buffer which is designed to raise the same parameters thus giving the tank a super shot and throwing you readings through the roof.

I would take the xenia out and put it in the 10g with the clown fish, add a small power head for flow and a semi-decent light and see how things look in a week.

I agree with everyone… it was probably the addition of the two things at the same time. Do you know what your KH tests, or is it just one of the Low, Med, High ones?

I would personally make up 10g of water and do a 5g water change twice today, once in the AM and one in the PM. Make sure you have an airstone in the 10g so the clown has plenty of Dissolved Oxygen and he should recover.