high levels of KH

I noticed some coral not looking right then I seen the clown fish and he wasnt breathing staying close to bottom. Checked calcium level it is right 440. Then checked KH and high. I added a few new coral frags today zoas and mushrooms dont know if that has anything to do with it. How do I lower it. Already added about 3 gal of ro water anything else i need to do i dont want to kill all my coral. please help

if you have salt water made up do a 10% to 15% water change

What are your current stats
temp
sg
ph
alk

i have a xenia and it looks as if its spilting down the middle and looks like its turning black

my temp is 77.9 and ph is 8.4 havent done the other test in the process of doing it now

ok here are some more levels Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0 and Ammonia 0 all perfect am going to check calc and phosphate now

[quote=“dnc15, post:1, topic:992”]
I noticed some coral not looking right then I seen the clown fish and he wasnt breathing staying close to bottom. Checked calcium level it is right 440. [glow=red,2,300]Then checked KH and high.[/glow] I added a few new coral frags today zoas and mushrooms dont know if that has anything to do with it. How do I lower it. Already added about 3 gal of ro water anything else i need to do i dont want to kill all my coral. please help[/quote]

How high? What do you dose? Is your salinity correct? I like to start with the easy stuff like salinity, you never know…

my phosphate is 1.0 but i have a mesh bag with phos remover in the back chamber of 24g aquapod

the salt level is 1.024… i usually dont use any chemicals. i did put half cap full of purple up yesterday and kent super buffer-dkh yesterday

And we are talking KH here, not pH? Caronate Hardness? First, I would not dose anything in a 24 gallon tank, water changes should be all you will ever need. This tank is a couple of months along, right? Best bet is to mix up some saltwater and do a water change. I would say take it slow, even if you raised your KH quickly, I would think it’s better to lower it slowly. (A couple of five gallon water changes over the next couple of days, vs. a ten gallon water change tonight.) Someone may correct me on this, I just think slower is almost always better.

also purple up in my eyes is waste of money. time will bring the coraline yes in a small tank water changes are key. i as well would not dose much more than kalkawas every evening very lightly.

What do i do about the 1.0 level of phosphate?

i do 10% water weekly never miss a water i know with this small of a tank it is the most important. i talk to the guys at premium aquatics almost every other day to make sure i am doing everything correctly have had the tank for 4 months and never had any issues or high levels until today

but you are buffering and added purple up yesterday? so i would assume it fueled riase. so how much do you feed tank? and give us a picture of coral so we can see black area.

I removed the clown fish and put him in a 10g for now but he does not look very good. Is breathing is fast and is kinda floating on his side close to the bottom. Is there something I need to do for him or just give him time

yes leave him in 1o g and lights low for now and just use this as a qt tank to see how he goes for a day or so. anything else that has been done different last day or so?

ok i cant send the pic my computer modem is not working and im using my cell and cant get the pic to send tn website. I can send it email or to another cell

ok just post them when ya can. how long has ziena been in tank? have you cut on it? ect…

maybe a little over 2 months it was a frag… no i have not cut on it was getting bigger and had new growth

ok john you are the ziena expert of drc so when he post pics give us your :TWOCENTS