Home built stand for 65 Gallon RR

I have been building a stand for a 65 Gal Reef Ready tank for a while and nearing completion. I cannot find pics of the build progress so Here it is as currently sits. The frame is treated 4X4’s. I decided to use an entertainment stand for the doors and side panels & top. I originally did not plan on this but It was free and rather than the hassle of dragging it to Goodwill I figured re-purposing it was better. So I chopped it to fit my measurements and installed new hinges. I will be changing the handles to Brass seahorses that I special ordered for this. (If I can find where I put them.) ::rofl::

Nice job re-purposing you did there. YahoO

There was quite a bunch of mistakes and still needs work but should be nice when finished. A matching canopy is in the works too.

Nice job Scot. is there enough room in the framing to drill the holes for the corner overflow pipes to go down through the top? the bulkheads need a little extra room for the lock nut.

Very nice

That is a good question Ken. ::thinking:: I had originally planned this stand (when building the frame) to use for a 40 gallon breeder tank, planted freshwater. So I did not Give extra clearance for the bulkheads. When I changed my mind to use the 65 RR I raised the top of the surface about 3/4" or so given the thickness of the top (another 3/4") and maybe a 1/2" of the bottom rim of the tank it is still only 2.0" which is very tight. To compensate I am thinking some creative work with a hole saw will be in order to make room for an elbow(s) to the drain and return. At this stage I really don’t want to re-do the frame and even if I have to take a good chunk out of it there should be enough meat left to be stable and strong. I have also used 3" angle brackets to secure all the joints. Looking back in retrospect I would have done it differently but this has been an evolving side project for quite some time. A big abcd to the link to the D.I.Y. stand construction page I found here. This is where the idea was first born for me.

If anyone knows how to minimize bottom bulkhead clearance tips will be appreciated! I figured on hacksaw and PVC cement the bulkhead to a 90 degree. Or if space permits jam flex hose in there.

90* will help, but look into street elbow (sometimes called a street ell or service ell). In simple terms instead of 90* female/female it is male/female and should give you a bit more space. We will have to see exactly how much room you have/need, but this may help a little bit.

No problem, if the bulkhead is a little too close to the frame to screw on the lock nut, you can carve out a semi circle area in the frame tubafore with a dremel or drill and a rasp. so that it will thread down. the tanks often have them pretty close to the edge. but they fit most factory stands because they are just 3/4 particle board sides. not tubafores. so do a little sculpting if its a tight fit. wont hurt the strength.