Hoplo Catfish

Hi,

Does anyone know of a source for Hoplo catfish (Megalechis thorcata formerly known as Hoplosternum thoracatum). I have been looking for some for quite a while. They used to be readily available. I know they have become a problem in some lakes in FL. I might have to go catch my own one of these days. Thanks.

Joe Foster

Your best bet would probably be to call some of the LFS. I know Premium Aquatics has a pretty large selection of FW fish.

I have been to all the LFS and asked several times. They either say they have not seen them in a long time and would try to get some or they have never seen them. I’ll keep trying tho.

About the Hoplo Catfish

Species Type: Freshwater Fish
Category: Catfish
Care Level: Very Easy. Will tolerate a wide range of water parameters including pH, temperature and hardness. Can tolerate higher nitrate levels than other fish and is hardy enough to withstand the cycling process. Will readily eat prepared foods and has no special care requirements.

Origin: Amazon River and tributaries

Compatibility/Temperament: 1

Description

Housing 10 gallons to start, then move to larger quarters, Substrate Immaterial Air breathers Sexual Differences: Males sport thicker pectoral fins as they mature, Good scavenger. Security Shy at first. Adapts rapidly.Heavy eater,Bubble nesters. Males very protective.

Hoplo Catfish Diet

Feed your new hoplos whatever the rest of your fish are chowing on: flakes, pellets, wafers, food sticks, frozen, freeze-dried, or live foods. Maybe feed a little of each. They eat them all with relish. Still, they never seem to put on excess weight. Like most catfishes, they prefer to munch at the night shift cafeteria. Also like other catfishes, they quickly adapt to your feeding schedule – usually within a week.
Size

Ideal water parameters for Hoplo Catfish

The Hoplo Catfish should be kept in an aquarium with the temperature ranging from 65 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit, and a Ph of around 6.5.

Try sending premium aquatics an e-mail and ask that it be directed to Charlie and see if he can add it to his list. Unless your willing to travel a couple hours or order online that will likely be your best bet.