HUGE Bristtle worm

[quote=“martinfaimly, post:20, topic:845”]

[quote=“martinfaimly, post:3, topic:845”]
ok for this you will need to purchase the MARTIN WORM TRAP and if you order today…only 19.95[/quote][/quote]
Glenn you gotta get this guy to do infomercials for you. You’re throwin your money away!

was holding out for billy maze

GreenFishyNHam09
“we adressed are problem with dr mac and got a sorry about your luck.” You pretty much can not get a zoanthid from anyone with out some sort of pest animal attached to it. There is a possible solution to pests, but no one is ever willing to go to the lengths required.

I assume you are wearing gogles and gloves during all treatments? If you have not heard the word Palytoxin and have been handling your zoas that much you might want to keep your hands out of the tank and do a little more reading on the topic.(comes down to wear goggles and gloves and wash your hands)

“and fw diping are frags” Abbreviations are sweet until they are commonly used for two things. Are you fresh water dipping or flat worm exit dipping? If you are fresh water dipping it probably won’t do a lot of good. If you fresh water dip with iodine it might help, but will REALLY stress the coral out which already isn’t having the best week ever.

Many people have gotten away from the fresh water dipping and moved on to Flat Worm exit dipping. Flat worm exit typically melts nudibranchs in no time. If you aren’t already FW exit dipping send me a PM and I will send you more specific instructions.

They are Fresh Water dipping, because soft sided organisms such as sea slugs and nudibranchs are very suceptible to osmotic shock, where as zoanthids are very durable to osmotic shock (compared to nudibranchs).

Before using Flat Worm Exit, you may want to read this thread (Among MANY others)

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f71/flatworm-exit-so-far-so-good-16537.html

I wouldnt ever use it in the tank, but as a dip it may be useful.

Long story short, if you use a product with out understanding what it does or what you are doing and do not follow the instructions you live with the results. Secondly flat worms are a part of the hobby and unless you are strict with QT and dips you are going to get them.

You can use flat worm as dip for removing zoa eating nudibranchs with specific instructions.(PM me if desired)

The rest is long winded and not for anyone besides Bellamy or those with time to kill(like Craig while at work) If you have any specific questions on flat worm exit, dips, or treatments PM me or start a new thread.

“Besides, I just had a tank disaster at home (not related to flatworms) and I figured if I was going to have multiple disasters, I might just as well be done all at once with it…”

Bellamy, you base a decision based on a reefer that is having multiple tank disasters before using the stuff and points out this specific thing as the route of all evil?

“Around 1:30 PM I started siphoning off as many of the worms as I could”
Package instructions say to siphon all you can for a week before using, MANY other threads online suggest going further then this. He just siphoned some out an hour before adding the dip. “At 4:00 I had siphoned all I was going to siphon.” (read I’m lazy and don’t really care anyways because every other tank I know of is already crashing"

“I knew there were more in the tank than could be seen but OMG!!!” The package and any article you read online about these things tells you specifically if you see a couple there are likely thousands more. You have to siphon all you can see one day and then give it a day to let more come out.(for seven days, not seven minutes.)

As you said as well a dip is completely different then a tank treatment. Most of them time when people have flat worms they actually consider a problem the tank is slow flow and very high in nutrients. I personally spoke with Ron Shimek, Anthony Calfo, Miguel Tolosa, and many others about this and they said you just about can’t avoid getting them, once you have them they are near impossible to 100% eliminate, but in the end if you have a properly maintained the system with adequate flow and nutrient removal they cause 0 harm to the tank.

If they are in plague proportions and you use exit the death of the flat worms releasing chemicals causes problems.

Bellamy you know better then to listen to a random thread like this. There is a person in Delaware that might still tell you that Kalkwasser will crash your tank. Ken handed him a container and he took it home and dumped the whole thing in his 50g tank and would you believe it killed almost everything in his tank!

These are the guys that forced me into QTing things and really unless you qt and treat every coral coming in you can not prevent these guys from making it into your system.

Oh, btw I have used 4 or so bottles of FW exit and just bought another bottle.

I know that this doesnt happen in every case, I was mostly giving a warning about using it on the whole system (which the directions on the box reccomend i think… not 100%), but as a dip it can be an option. Like I said, this is not the only thread where someone had problems with this… I just didnt want anyone using chemicals before they knew that there could be downfalls. Didnt mean that they couldnt use it, just be wary and do your research (and that in this case, a fresh water dip does work… I dont advocate this for most situations, but for zoa nudis it is very effective from everything I have heard and read)

well, soon as the current batch of clown eggs hatch, dont look like tonight, maybe thurs night, i plan to treat my frag system with the Lavamisole pig dewormer for flat worms. some on RC say it also works for monti eating nudies and such. let you know how it goes with my tank. i treated it once with EXIT, but neglected the follow up dose 10 days later to get the eggs that hatched.

[quote=“Gordonious, post:23, topic:845”]
If you aren’t already FW exit dipping send me a PM and I will send you more specific instructions. [/quote]

[quote=“Gordonious, post:25, topic:845”]
You can use flat worm as dip for removing zoa eating nudibranchs with specific instructions.(PM me if desired)[/quote]

Sounds like an article/meeting topic/forum sticky opportunity to me, Jon.

If you PM it to one person, you PM it to one person. If you publish it on-site, it’s there for the benefit of all to see.

I was thinking that when I was done typing last night.

Problem is the dip is supposed to be repeated to be sure it works. When people dip when they get home and then place the coral directly into there display tank any remaining pests spread through out the tank and on to the other zoas/palys. Until there is a single person in the club besides me that quarantines… an article wouldn’t really help anyone in the club.

But its a start :slight_smile:

Ditto to Al & Ted’s comments

[quote=“Gordonious, post:29, topic:845”]
Until there is a single person in the club besides me that quarantines… an article wouldn’t really help anyone in the club. [/quote]

Umm … ok. That help’s. :-?

You never know who is going to join the club tomorrow, or who may decide to start QTing today. The main purpose of this organization is to educate and provide direction and guidance. if we have informatio to share, especially something of this magnitude then it is certainly worth punblishing.

You never know, this may be the argument that changes everyone’s mind and makes us want to QT everything we get (or at least most of everything we get).

when and if i ever finish my basement and get my fish room up and running. i WILL be using a qt tank. and it wont be plumbed to my display tank lOl

Yea I’m waiting on some decent cheap lights to go up for sale to throw on a QT tank and I’ll start using one.