i hope the answer is NO

is there any problem with having the back part of a koralia IN the water? i have 2 of them mounted on the curve of the rr section of the tank.

Not sure what you mean by back part. Are you talking about the second half of the magnet, or the part where the motor is on the koralia?

I bet that is what he means and I would think it would be fine. I am pretty sure I have seen other people do it. I would just check on them everyonce and a while to see if they rust. Normally I would say you could try contacting the manufacture, but I sent them 4-5 e-mails over the last year and didn’t get a single response.

yes, the back half of the magnet is in the water.
jon, i appreciate the info. i woke up at 4 am and was worried about it.
glad to hear the opinion. i do check on it when changing water, so it’s on the checklist.

Being as the magnet is completely encased in rubber I wouldn’t suspect there would be an issue - just check it for cracks and wear periodically as SW and UV from our lights has a tendency to wear out rubber faster then normal.

Yeah, the only thing I would wonder about is the coating that is on the magnet. IF the UV light and the SW was going to start to make it break down, will that leach any unwanted chemicals into the water??

I am no expert, so I can’t answer the question, but I would have to guess if you check it during your normal water changes and it looks like its start to break down, it will probably be too late…

[quote=“ihuntinde, post:6, topic:1734”]
I am no expert, so I can’t answer the question, but I would have to guess if you check it during your normal water changes and it looks like its start to break down, it will probably be too late…[/quote]

Not necesssarily. The rubber coating on the magnets is pretty thick, the surface ruber will start to harden and crack before the actual metal is exposed to the water. And if water changes are being done once a week, even if it wasn’t caught there would only be a short windo of time that the magnet would have to leach in to the tank. Of course we don’t now if the magnets are irrodium which if I remember correctly will not leach anything in to the water column.

[quote=“Cdangel0, post:7, topic:1734”]
Not necesssarily. The rubber coating on the magnets is pretty thick, the surface ruber will start to harden and crack before the actual metal is exposed to the water. And if water changes are being done once a week, even if it wasn’t caught there would only be a short windo of time that the magnet would have to leach in to the tank. Of course we don’t now if the magnets are irrodium which if I remember correctly will not leach anything in to the water column.[/quote]

Thats true. I was thinking more of what the chemical reaction of the rubber breaking down might do.

I did this with no problem with mine. They were probably like that for 6 months before I swapped them out for a tunze and they never showed any sign of wear.

thanks to all who know more thani did. i really did doubt any issues, but no harm in asking :~S

well… isnt the inside piece on the koralia also a rubber coated magnet? and therefore pose the same threat??
???

[quote=“fishguy9, post:11, topic:1734”]
well… isnt the inside piece on the koralia also a rubber coated magnet? and therefore pose the same threat??
???[/quote]

YES - but that is just too easy an answer and doesn’t provide nearly enough fodder for conversation ;D

roger… Saint:)

FYI for a little better sleep (regarding rubber)… Most pumps that have impellers also have rubber grommets (for lack of the proper term) that hold the impeller in the center of the pump while allowing the impeller to turn, They last a long time even in salt water. It would take a while to break down.

[quote=“Porter, post:14, topic:1734”]
FYI for a little better sleep (regarding rubber)… Most pumps that have impellers also have rubber grommets (for lack of the proper term) that hold the impeller in the center of the pump while allowing the impeller to turn, They last a long time even in salt water. It would take a while to break down.[/quote]

True but what about the added effects of UV radiation from our lights? The “grommets” on the pumps would not necessarily be subjected to that.

The lights are uv shielded. Mogel base MH bulbs have the small layer of glass to protect against UV. Double ended bulbs have a glass plate to reduce UV. After that the water will reduce UV.
Car tires last a while out in the full effect of the sun. While not the same rubber does take a while to b rake down when it is properly lubricated. Couple of years at least.

However the glass only protects against SOME of the UV radiation.
And car tires are made out of a significantly thicker and sturdier rubber compund then what we would generally use in the aquarium hobby.

I’m thinking about the condition of the suction cups on the power-heads and Nori clips after a few months to a year. I’m willing to bet that those exposed to light as well as salt water are significantly more brittle then those subjected to only salt water.

there’s not much light on the overflow, even is there were, it’d be the ends of the bulbs, which if theyre like most tube bulbs give off less lumens/power than the middles. anyway, as long as there’s not a leeching prob, yay!