Jtnova's 60g Build

Looks good man. I like the Kole Tang, will probably be getting one for my tank too. Whats next?

[quote=“Faralon, post:41, topic:5377”]
Looks good man. I like the Kole Tang, will probably be getting one for my tank too. Whats next?[/quote]

Thanks! I’m thinking midas blenny, any advice?

As for corals, i’m trying to get frags of some LPS. I still have traces of phosphates so i’m not gonna push my luck with sps yet.

Careful with GSP unless you decide you no longer won’t any LPS or anything else, but a tank full of GSP. They can turn into a maintenance nightmere if ignored for long. You’ll attempt to rip it off an area and with in a week it will have grown back even further. Some GSP will grow right up and over stony corals, others will just fill in every nook and cranny in between your others coral. I recommend keeping it on a little island in the sand where you can easily keep it from growing over all the rocks.

Kole tangs are pretty shy animal in general. Just their overall personality.

Interesting looking mushrooms. Nice find. Where did you pick them up at? If you end up with multiple polyps and would like to try for another type shoot me a private message.

[quote=“Gordonious, post:43, topic:5377”]
Careful with GSP unless you decide you no longer won’t any LPS or anything else, but a tank full of GSP. They can turn into a maintenance nightmere if ignored for long. You’ll attempt to rip it off an area and with in a week it will have grown back even further. Some GSP will grow right up and over stony corals, others will just fill in every nook and cranny in between your others coral. I recommend keeping it on a little island in the sand where you can easily keep it from growing over all the rocks.

Kole tangs are pretty shy animal in general. Just their overall personality.

Interesting looking mushrooms. Nice find. Where did you pick them up at? If you end up with multiple polyps and would like to try for another type shoot me a private message. [/quote]

All of the coral in my tank were hitchhikers from liverock. I’m not sure where they came from originally, but the red shroom is about to split i think.

I haven’t seen noticable GSP growth but it may be a good idea to move the rock once I remove the cabbage leather. Do you think the GSP will die off once I start burning my LED’s for SPS?

Also, will GSP grow on my barebottom tankbed?

http://www.nano-reef.com/corals/?coral=20

“This coral [GSP] also thrives of off phosphates and nutrients in your water.”

Is this true? Could be why they’re kicking so much ass in my tank lol.

Got some new corals. I need to white balance most of the pics.

My Ca is about 450, KH was off the chart… i think my test kit is bad.

Orange Monti

Pink paly’s

Green Scroll

Purple Death

Sorry for the delay in response, I don’t check into the forum as often as I used to.

[quote=“jtnova13, post:44, topic:5377”]
I haven’t seen noticable GSP growth but it may be a good idea to move the rock once I remove the cabbage leather. Do you think the GSP will die off once I start burning my LED’s for SPS?[/quote]

VERY careful lumping corals into massive categories. It is horrible advice to keep “SPS” in high light and “softies” in low light. These generalizations are as helpful as “you should feed mammals veggies”. Might work for cows, but not so much for cats.

It is actually almost the case that SPS is more sensitive to high light then softies. Many people have burnt their Acropora and Montipora with too much light from LEDs while their softies survived. Again gross over generalizations, but I would not think GSP would die off from too much light while “SPS” survives.

[quote=“jtnova13, post:44, topic:5377”]
Also, will GSP grow on my barebottom tankbed?[/quote]

GSP will certainly grow on the bottom of your tank, but it will be easier to remove there then it would be on your rock.

Many softi corals like GSP will do VERY well with higher nutrient systems.

Use caution with cheap test kits. You may want to try picking up some Elos kits as they are not too expensive and I personally have found them very reliable. Just my two cents.

Thanks for the advice. My GSP is going to be shaved off the rock and placed on my barebottom, it might look pretty cool to have GSP growing on the bottom.

Got a TDS meter and it’s reading 5 PPM. Is that tolerable or do I need to replace some filters?

My phosphate is reading 0, and most of the algae is gone. Coraline is starting to take hold and some film algae as well.

JT i changed my DI resin and it brought me back down from 3ppm to 0ppm.

1ppm RODI could mean you are starting out with close to 1ppm phosphates or Nitrates which many people would consider too much to start with. Many times when I have started to help people with there aquariums and the root of their issue was starting with dirty water.

0ppm is the only thing I accept for my tanks, but others may have different opinions. The worst stuff for your aquarium is typically what breaks through first.

If you have 5ppm after the RO it is likely time to change your pre-filters. If you have 5ppm after RO and DI you may need to change everything including your membrane. Keep in mind it may be a pain to change out your $5-7 pre-filters every 6 months, but the protect a much more expensive RO membrane that could last you for years.

I recommend running dual DI. One and you are changing it out the second you see 1ppm TDS which is often before it is completely used up. If you run two you can have one new one and one that is partly exhausted.

Is your TDS meter in line or handheld? With an inline you will detect “tds creep” right after the unit is turned on. It is better to take a reading after at least 5 minutes of running the RODI.
If it is handheld you want to make sure there isn’t something in your storage container increasing your TDS. If you use the same storage container to mix salt then you will never find 0ppm TDS. Try a clean glass to see if that shows up lower.

Hope this makes sense and helps, I didn’t proof read.

My meter is handheld and I don’t mix salt in the same container but I suppose it could leech from the plastic or something?

The filters are kind of old but I only used them for about 6 months originally.

I’ll try changing my filters first before my DI membrane.

[quote=“jtnova13, post:51, topic:5377”]
My meter is handheld and I don’t mix salt in the same container but I suppose it could leech from the plastic or something?

The filters are kind of old but I only used them for about 6 months originally.

I’ll try changing my filters first before my DI membrane.[/quote]
I would definitely change the pre filter (1ppm wound) and possibly the carbon block while you are servicing it. I removed mine after 5 and it was nasty. Some sources say 6 months on pre filter 9 months on carbon depending on use and initial water quality. These are much cheaper than a membrane, and gives you piece of mind.
Much of the water around the area here is super hard so the filters get pretty beat up fast. I have city of Newark and its pretty bad.

I plan on ordering the ro/di kit from brs. That should have all 3 filter stages I need to replace before the ro membrane.

Is it normal for the ro membrane to make a buzzing noise? There are no leaks but it buzzes when on.

Do you have the check valve mod installed? If so it could be going bad.

Nope. I was thinking there might be too much flow thrOugh it but don’t most ro systems come with a flow restrictor matched to the membrane?

What unit do you have? The ro units use pressure not volume, which is why people use a booster pump. If you have a significant amount of air introduced to the system it can make a strange noise as the bubbles are forced out. I found if the lines on my coralife membrane are not straight up, the air can get stuck and it made a weird sound each time a little bit escaped. Spinning it 1/4 turn so the line was straight up fixed it. I have a high pitched “squeak” from the water pressure sometimes but not a buzzing or banging.

this is the one i have pretty much:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REEF-HOME-DRINKING-RO-DI-dual-output-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-PURE-WATER-FILTER-SYSTEM-/350492508127?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519afb3fdf

It’s weird has like 6 stages. 2 carbon filters, a di filter, a micro filter and a ro membrane or something like that.

it is different. Have you tried backflushing the membrane? If you can replace the filters with standard ro filters, DPA carries them. the one supplied is 5 micron where the replacements are 1 micron. Its hard to see all the tubing in the pics. Have you noticed a drop in pure to waste water? Have you opened the drain in the system they were talking about on the website? Worst comes to worst contact the seller, they may have an easy fix.

How long can my tank run without a sump? My return pump died and I can’t get a new one until tomorrow at the earliest.

I did a 10% water change and I won’t feed the tank until I get a return pump. The powerheads are still running.

I’m worried about not having the BP, phosban and skimmer running on the tank for very long.

Thanks

Just aim power up so that you get good surface disturbance and maybe aim a fan at the surface too and you should be fine.