JustSumGuy's 75g tank setup

Thats sweet ::thumbsup:: looks like a pretty big piece… where’d you get that from?

I am sorry not strawberry lemonade but pink lemonade lol… As soon as photobucket will take this picture I will re upload since it has opened up and coloring nicely it also has another coral attached to the rock not sure what it is yet but sort of looks like pocilipora polyps but no branching and only a 1/2" wide colony. I got it from Williams it has a little tissue loss on the bottom but with it being its size I could frag it for what I paid and I did dip it along with the pink zoa’s I picked up.

Also found a good site for water containers. I think this is the one I am going with its a 30gallon with removable lid that has 2 bunge holes in the top for the wires to go through for the pump and heater. fda and usda approved.

Or this company which is higher priced but faster shipping won’t have to wait 2-3 weeks for it to ship out.

Don’t know why the coral looks perfect on my phone but not on photobucket. My phone pictures are even coming out in true color… grrrrrr Now if only I could get my camera to take perfect color.

Monthly update.

So everything is doing good in the tank, I slowed my feedings to once/twice every 2 days now. I read a lot of people feed every other day to lighten up the bio load so I am giving it a try and so far the fish still seem healthy looking.

I finally got the tubing and adapters I needed to hook up the phosban reactor 150, RIO +1100 pump with npx bio-plastics. Hooked it up last night. I started off with 100ml of the bio-plastics. I had to set the pump for full power to keep the pellets moving nicely without clumping. I am curious that when I do go up to 200ml if this pump will be enough. My fiance thinks that the tank looks clearer already… Not sure if I notice any difference though.

I also bought another phosban 150 for my carbon and phosban. I think I am going to mix the 2 together both gfo’s are in ball shape so I imagine they would work well together even though I know the one expires faster then the other…

I am using my 20g long for some softies and lps since it was 0’s across the board on the bad stuff. Everything I moved to that tank is already showing good signs of new growth and spreading… big difference a lot nutrient tank can do.

On the 75g tank i tried moving my acros around to find a spot they might like better light&flow wise. a couple inches in height make a big difference on colors on my acro that was fully green which now has gone to a tan body with green tips. my strawberry/lemonade (or whatever it is) has gone to a full bright green.
I had to kick out my green manderin from the fuge into the 20gallon tank as she depleted my live stock down there. I also added tiger pods and got live phytoplankton again YahoO.

I guess thats all for now… Now time to do my 25g water change… yyyaaaaayyyy what fun…

I would separate the GFO from the Carbon, you want a slight tumble on the surface of the GFO and you want the carbon packed between two pads to keep it from moving at all.

[quote=“JustSumGuy, post:104, topic:4088”]
I also bought another phosban 150 for my carbon and phosban. I think I am going to mix the 2 together both gfo’s are in ball shape so I imagine they would work well together even though I know the one expires faster then the other…[/quote]

[quote=“Hudzon, post:105, topic:4088”]
I would separate the GFO from the Carbon, you want a slight tumble on the surface of the GFO and you want the carbon packed between two pads to keep it from moving at all.[/quote]

both “ball shape” sounds like “Phosgaurd” the aluminum stuff, they make a matching spherical carbon also. If thats the case, they work great together. I used that in a reactor… 2 : 1 carbon/ phosgaurd to offset the faster expiring issue… carbon first…poly…phosgaurd…poly… It can run for a month easily without much drop in flow, as long as the poly’s not packed too tight…
If actual GFO is being used, then Frank is correct, much diff flow requirements, and a waste to team up with carbon from what it seems.

Glad to hear all is well Jeff, and your mandarin refugee is all fat… I’d say “and happy” but not after the eviction ::rofl::

[quote=“saltcreep, post:106, topic:4088”]
both “ball shape” sounds like “Phosgaurd” the aluminum stuff, they make a matching spherical carbon also. If thats the case, they work great together. I used that in a reactor… 2 : 1 carbon/ phosgaurd to offset the faster expiring issue… carbon first…poly…phosgaurd…poly… It can run for a month easily without much drop in flow, as long as the poly’s not packed too tight…
If actual GFO is being used, then Frank is correct, much diff flow requirements, and a waste to team up with carbon from what it seems.[/quote]
You use poly in the reactor to separate? I have 4 sponges since I did not use sponges for the bioplastics i use the screens for the plastics.
I have the Seachem phosgaurd and Seachem matrix carbon both spherical shaped.

[quote=“saltcreep, post:106, topic:4088”]
Glad to hear all is well Jeff, and your mandarin refugee is all fat… I’d say “and happy” but not after the eviction ::rofl::[/quote]
She used to be super fat then after eating through the population her stomach became concaved. Another reason for eviction. She eats way more then the ora Mandarin in the main tank.

First off I hope everyone has a great Christmas this year.

Second my Nerite snails are breading in my tank I have over 200+ eggs on the walls and some on rocks. I already verified these as the Nerites eggs and watched the momma snail. Pretty weird looking to say the least You can see the yolk through the glass.

I was happy to see that this morning so I thought I would post. :slight_smile:

Think I am due for a update- The tank is doing great since installed the reactor with the bio plastics. Growth rates have increased in the tank on the sps and the softies. the clams are still growing at a good rate. here is a couple tank shots before i moved some stuff around. Gotta take new pictures. Devils hand is even happier in its new spot.

My skimmer is now down I called Red Sea and ordered a new impeller and o-rings for the asperation pump. The pump was making a grinding noise and the impeller looks like it has chopped up some small snails so after i inspected tried to make it work the o-rings would not seal anymore. I almost just said f-it and bought a reef octopus but my sump does not have enough room to fit it. and my skimmer works so no need to really change it out. Also had a korlia power head impeller magnet swell up so that pump is down till i order a new one.
Should have a bunch of new specimens after the fragswap so far I ordered 6 or 7 things.

looking good Jeff ::thumbsup::

Thanks John.

So here is the update with Red Sea. After a week I received my shipment. They sent me a new impeller and O-ring kit to come and find out that the 2 O-rings I needed have been taken out of the package prior to shipping. So today I was finally able to talk to the Operations manager about the situation after I realized what happened. They are sending me out another new O-ring kit 2 day air at no extra cost to make things right. So Friday I will have my skimmer back online.

Also picked up a nice Longnose Hawkfish since we missed our old one so much. He adapted almost immediately to our tank and its new tank mates.

I am going to the TPP fragswap on Saturday to pick up 10 frags some cheap pieces and a couple pricey ones. Best one I think will be the Nuclear Sunset Mushroom and the LE UFO MIcromuso. So excited I can’t wait and I am sure when I get there I will buy even more then already picked out.

I can’t wait to see pics of these two new frags you’re bragging about all over the boards…
they sound bad-azz!

you seem really excited about them…
just remember to seek medical attention if it lasts for more then 4 hours… ::rofl::

[quote=“saltcreep, post:112, topic:4088”]
I can’t wait to see pics of these two new frags you’re bragging about all over the boards…
they sound bad-azz!

you seem really excited about them…
just remember to seek medical attention if it lasts for more then 4 hours… ::rofl::[/quote]

It can last all night without the pill LoL…

It has been a while since I have put some full tank shots up so heres some pictures. Not the best all taken with my phone and I did not clean the tank walls either, I have been lazy when it comes to this lately coraline is on all 4 walls in the tank now…
Things have been doing pretty well for the most part. Still a bunch of things I would like to buy for the tank but I have held off due to my work, all of my money has been going into cars lately fixing em up so they are good when I go to sell them.

FTS of the 75g tank

FTS of the 20g tank

My Nuclear sunset mushroom. I can’t get the bright green to come out right on my camera.

My LE UFO Micromussa also hard to get its brightness, tenticles all out so you can’t see the green ring or center. Trach got all of its color back also YahoO took some months to come back.

I believe these are X-men zoa/paly’s on the right and some hybrid watermellons on the left.

Ragin Watermellon I just picked up from DaJohnson

Armor of gods paly’s are doing great and spreading frags to eventually be available

I believe these are Soprano Paly’s eventually also to be fragged

My mushroom corner so they can all mount to shells. Many variants but you can’t see all of them in the pic

The watchman always looking clammy

Dunks Duncans looking good as usual great extension

My clownfish taking care of the eggs. This is around the 5th batch.

Rightside of the 75g

JF fruitloops which came off the plug and vanished :confused:

My first zoa frag attempt(clear plug), you get to see the UFO again :slight_smile:

Hey, you got a lot of nice looking stuff in there. looking pretty good!

Nice zoo colonies in that tank Jeff. Great stuff.

Thank you guys, I am trying to expand the zoa/paly collection. I do have some variants I have yet to see doubles of on the web or in person.

Everyone can see the picture I submitted to TFP awhile back in the spring/summer catalog :slight_smile: It is a picture of my old yellowtail damsel and on of the first pictures I took with my camera after I got it.

[quote=“JustSumGuy, post:118, topic:4088”]
Everyone can see the picture I submitted to TFP awhile back in the spring/summer catalog :slight_smile: It is a picture of my old yellowtail damsel and on of the first pictures I took with my camera after I got it.[/quote]
Congrats Jeff GolfC, I was just about to post about it. Very cool.

Thanks Rosti. I know it wasn’t as good as a lot of pictures I have seen on here but it was my favorite that I took and mainly just because of how the detail of the fish came out.