Koi Pond Winterizing

Not sure if anyone else runs a Koi pond but I had a few questions about winterizing. Our pond is about 4ft deep all around with two plant shelves and we run about 900 gallons. I was wondering if we would be able to run our skimmer box/pump to the waterfall year round. We also have a UV filter in line, above ground. I was thinking that we would probably have to take that inside and install a connector in its place. I was hoping we could put a deicer in the skimmer box and this would allow the water to flow throughout the winter without freezing up our pump or lines. Is this possible or should we pull everything out and blow dry the lines? Our skimmer box sits inside the pond on a shelf. I appreciate any input. Thanks!

You gonna have to wait till Paul (moliken) to jump in. he’s the pond guru. he has a nice one in his back yard.

Thanks, hopefully he will see this, wish I could tag him like on Facebook! Haha someone should get on that… j/k. :slight_smile:

You defiantly want to pull the UV sterilizer. My old neighbor has been through 3 bc he didn’t bring it in in the winter. I would suggest adding unions on either side of the sterilizer (opposite gender on each side) so you can pull it and reconnect the plumbing easily.

Thanks! Just went to Lowes and picked up the parts!

a lot depends on the system u actually have. i run the uv until water temps not air temp stay below 50. then use the unions that my boy jason made. i turn off the skimmer to my waterfall if i know there’s a long period of freezing weather–ran it all last winter. i spend too much $$ on this pond to use a deicer, so if there’s a real deep freeze, much worse than anything in the past 3 years, and i abso need to shut down the entire filtration system, i use a strong airpump. the only reason to do that though is to keep gas from building up in the water, but if u keep yr skimmer/falls working, you will have open areas why do you wanna keep a deicer going? that’s an important issue are your lines buried or above ground? where are u located. maybe we could get together. i’d make sure your plants safe, if the pond surface freezes, meaning ice can and will crack the pots.

I am in dover and definitely up for any help. My lines are all above ground which is why I was thinking I would need to run a deicer in my skimmer box. All of my equipment sits near the top of the water line. I will send you a PM with my number. This is my first winter with the pond so I am a little worried. We invested quite a bit into it (traded in all of our reef setup, equipment and then some). I already took the UV out and installed the unions as suggested, great idea thanks! I just want to get it right the first time, I’m no stranger to accidents in the fish world and they are not fun!

Paul I’m starting to feel a rope around my neck! Lol

better than shackles, my friend.