Lionfish... YUM!!!

The only upside to the Lionfish invasion of the east coast and Caribean waters is: Once you get past the poisonous spines, they taste good!!

Alien lionfish swarm N.C. coast

If McDOnalds can figure a way of getting them on a sesame seed bun with special sauce , they will be gone in no time.

[quote=“kaptken, post:1, topic:1580”]
The only upside to the Lionfish invasion of the east coast and Caribean waters is: Once you get past the poisonous spines, they taste good!!

Alien lionfish swarm N.C. coast

If McDOnalds can figure a way of getting them on a sesame seed bun with special sauce , they will be gone in no time.[/quote]
beautiful fish, but a real danger. what a shame!

[quote=“moliken, post:2, topic:1580”]
beautiful fish, but a real danger. what a shame![/quote]

not really … just a change

ive actually read a very similar article to this, and i think i posted something about it a long time ago…i read about the currents from the south that carry these non-native species up north, and if you time it correctly you can catch all kinds of exotic saltwater fish…the article said something about people in upstate new york have been catching these fish for years (many of the same species we buy in stores)…but they also say by the time the fall and winter chill hits they usually die off, and whatever does make it stands out like a bad thumb and are more likely to get picked off by predators…

it would be cool to try to collect this year off of our coast…ken havent u dont this before? what species did you catch?

If there was a freakin dive boat that went out from delaware I’d go out and catch some, saw a big lionfish last year in jersey.

according to the article, they are still growing in numbers and competing with and eating the young of native fish. so no telling how much they will displace of the local commercial fish catch and economy. Just like weeds, a weed is a plant out of place. something that dont belong in your garden. and same with non native species. it can be a very nice plant like flowering vine. but if it grows over and kills the plants you are growing there, then it’s a weed.

yup they have been spreading for 15 years or so, but growing much faster now.

Not many open dive charters in De. Ian, but NJ has some.
http://bluewater.cust3.dcsny.com/dimages/PDF115.pdf

http://www.elitedivers.com/EDLocal.htm

or how about OC maryland, or Chincoteague?

OCdiver is a good one, great guys.

Cool, now go catch some lion fish for a raffle!! But wear your gloves.