Looking for LED DIYer

Hey, I know there’s more people out there that are thinking up plans to do a DIY LEDs besides Shawn.

I would like to get together and talk about plans, parts and how to. I can read and look at videos all day, but I’m a more of a hands on kind of person, especially when it comes to electronic and electricity.

Let me know if there’s anyone out there that would like to do that. Looking to build one soon. Thanks

A

Absolutely, I am planing to build 48x2 strip to supplement my MH. Look like piece of cake after doing research.

Rosti, do you have a plan for it yet? and what kind of parts are you looking to get? CREE, Meanwell?

http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-154/24-LED-Actinic-Supplement/Detail
probably will mix and match different leds on same strip.

I have to wait little before placing order, next month i need to place big order from IPSF(reef worms, etc) than following month led kit

Does any one know anything about this LED bulbs?

Super Bright LED Lamp Bulb 800LM for Aquarium Fish Tank

800LM LED Lamp for Aquarium
10W LED Lamp for aquarium
Long service life

Color Temperature: 20000K
Wavelength: 450nm
Luminous flux : 800LM
Voltage : 24-30V DC
Current : 1000mA MAX
Viewing Angle: 120 Degree
Life span 30000 hours

wow, led technology moving at speed of light. Nice find

[quote=“Rosti, post:5, topic:4080”]
I have to wait little before placing order, next month i need to place big order from IPSF(reef worms, etc) than following month led kit[/quote]

Yeah, I’m looking at next month too. And what are you ordering from IPSF (reef worms, etc)? and who is IPSF? if you don’t mind me asking.

I think all aquarium light fixture mfg will start introducing led fixtures soon.

[quote=“reefman66, post:8, topic:4080”]
Yeah, I’m looking at next month too. And what are you ordering from IPSF (reef worms, etc)? and who is IPSF? if you don’t mind me asking.[/quote]

Baby BristleWorms
Mama Mia Worms
IPSF SandBedâ„¢ Clams
Tang Heaven Red
etc

[quote=“Rosti, post:7, topic:4080”]
wow, led technology moving at speed of light. Nice find[/quote]

I just found that and I’m planning on using that for my frag tank. But I don’t know anything about it. As to how to power it up and what kind of driver for it if it needs it or not. That is why I want to get together with someone who know anything about doing this DIY LEDs thing.

[quote=“Rosti, post:9, topic:4080”]
I think all aquarium light fixture mfg will start introducing led fixtures soon.[/quote]

Yeah, but it still expensive!!

[quote=“Rosti, post:10, topic:4080”]

[quote=“reefman66, post:8, topic:4080”]
Yeah, I’m looking at next month too. And what are you ordering from IPSF (reef worms, etc)? and who is IPSF? if you don’t mind me asking.[/quote]

Baby BristleWorms
Mama Mia Worms
IPSF SandBedâ„¢ Clams
Tang Heaven Red
etc[/quote]

I saw that website. Seems like pretty cool site for critters and the price seems pretty reasonable as well.

Sorry can’t help you there. I can assemble it, but need led kit mfg to give me schematic and all the parts in one package. I just don’t have time to do it from scratch.

[quote=“reefman66, post:12, topic:4080”]
I saw that website. Seems like pretty cool site for critters and the price seems pretty reasonable as well.[/quote]
It sounds ridiculous, I am going to spend $300+ on worms, but it’s part of the hobby.

Those red spaghetti worms(mama Mias) multiply pretty fast if you just stock some… mine came in on rock and stuff. they bury their gut in the sand. and sift off the surface with their tentacles. i syphon up bunches of little ones when i syphon the sand, sometimes. they do best in fine sand, although i use seafloor grade aragonite. 2-3 mm size.

that looks like a decent DIY LED set. i bookmarked the site. Thanks. Do you know what the degree beam is on the leds? do you think it needs some lenses to narrow the beam to say 60 degrees?

don’t know anything about the electronics, but make sure that the bulbs dim, or you’re missing half the potential of leds.

[quote=“moliken, post:16, topic:4080”]
don’t know anything about the electronics, but make sure that the bulbs dim, or you’re missing half the potential of leds.[/quote]

Paul, what do you mean by make sure that the bulbs dim? Do you mean to make sure its dimable? or what do you mean by that?

I am in the process (been for almost a year now!!!) building my LED lights. I currently have a bunch of meanwell ELN-40-48D drivers, 13 XP-G whites and 24 XR-E blues, 2 pots for dimming, all my power supplies, dual fans, artic adhesive etc etc. The only thing left is a heat sink, I have a soldering station at my work where I will make them or bring it home for a weekend. I can’t decide if I want to drop a lot of money on a heatsink from heatsinkusa.com or try the U channel method, but I need to find some large U channel, preferably nothing smaller then 1.5x1.5. Anyone know where to get any? HD or lowes won’t have what I need, it needs to be larger then what they carry and made of better materials (better heat dissipation). Once I get the heatsink I will be making the light, taking lots of pics and doing a write up. There’s lots of info out there, but theres so much, its all a jumbled mess to go thru. I’d love to have a simple, straight forward write up anyone can follow to make a light. So I will make that to hopefully help people out, if I ever get mine done haha. Goodluck with everyone else going DIY, thats the way to go!

[quote=“reefman66, post:17, topic:4080”]

[quote=“moliken, post:16, topic:4080”]
don’t know anything about the electronics, but make sure that the bulbs dim, or you’re missing half the potential of leds.[/quote]

Paul, what do you mean by make sure that the bulbs dim? Do you mean to make sure its dimable? or what do you mean by that?[/quote]
yeah, if they don’t dim, if they aren’t dimmable, half their potential goes to waste, a slow sunrise and sunset, rather than BOOM! WAKE UP!

LOL, BOOM! WAKE UP!

I see what you mean. I thought you meant by it not being at their brightest and not being able to do other functions.