MH/T8 fixture

I just picked up this MH/T8 fixture 175/40 watt bulbs. It didn’t come with any ballasts and im not very familiar with MH as Ive used T5 since i started saltwater. Since it was free I didn’t complain but the lady didn’t know what ballasts to use for them. Anyone know what wattage/type ballast i need for this fixture?

I was told the 6 prong was for the MH and the smaller one was for the T8

This is the closet thing ive seen that resembles this fixture.

Well congrats on the light. I have not seen that kinda plug in a while. Your probably gonna need to wire in a new plug wire it up yourself. If there 175 watt bulbs that the size ballast your gonna need but if you need to replace the ballasts you can go with 175, 250, or 400 watters. Mogule base bulbs those sizes are the same.
DependIng on what size your tank is. There are a few companies that sell MH ballasts.

Marine depot will have them if your looking there. There easy to wire up.

Ok thats good to know…I was thinking of going up to 250w but wasnt sure. Still 2 questions though. First of which is there is only one plug so does the ballast power both bulbs? Second I have never seen a remote ballast for T8’s so how would I power those? Im all for diy but im no electrician and being shocked as a youngster I know that is nothing to play around with.

BTW abcd

The ballast box would of had 3 ballasts one for each MH light and one for the 2 fluorescent bulbs .

Your gonna need to probably take the plug off and wire them separate.

The look of that light probably had T12 bulbs which are just standard bulbs .
If your gonna redo it anyway you could do T5 bulbs.

250 MH bulbs would be no problem

T12? I thought they were 8’s…I was looking at ballasts and correct me if im wrong a dual ballast would power both those bulbs without rewiring for two ballasts? Also you mean rewire T12 too a T5? If so would I be able to use one ballast for both bulbs?

t5 ho, t12 vho, t8 standard. you can get an ice cap ballast for t5, standoffs, and endcaps. ice cap has a new name coral vue? i think but they overdrive bulbs.

Those T8 bulbs are just a smaller diameter bulb the T12 bulbs are the same as in a standard shop light either one will work and you can get a standard ballast to run 2 bulbs. If you got a T5 retro fit sockets would need to be replaced. Each 4 foot T12 bulb is 40 watts a 4 foot T8 is I believe 35 watts. Both are standard output lights. Most T5 retros are HO bulbs and come out to 54 watts each

You can get T12 bulbs in standard wattage , high output wattage (HO) and very high output (VHO)

[quote=“billrob71, post:11, topic:4564”]
You can get T12 bulbs in standard wattage , high output wattage (HO) and very high output (VHO)[/quote]
yes my fault but vho is only t12. looks like standard fixture with mh

So i did a little sleuthing :GEEK: and found the model/serial numbers and pictures of both ballasts T12/MH.

T12: MH:
model AF3040W2 AF175WD MH A
serial 7381 3542
40w 120v .75 amps 175w 120v 3.7 amps
Energy Saver Unlimited Inc. Energy Saver Unlimited Inc.
Harbor City CA 90710 Carson CA 90710

yes, those are old Coralife Ballasts. ESU. The T size on bulbs refers to their diameter in 1/8 inches. T5 is 5/8". T8 is 8/8" or one inch, T12 is 12/8" or one and a half inch diameter bulb. thats all. The output level is indicated by NO normal output which runs at 400 milliamps, HO high output at 800 milliamps and VHO 1500 milliamps to the bulb at the matching wattage for the bulb length. So you can find replacement ballasts everywhere.

here is a great close out deal on Ice Cap old stock 175 electronic MH ballasts. Coralvue bought Icecap and will still service them.
http://www.hellolights.com/icecapelectronicballast175w.aspx

[quote=“kaptken, post:14, topic:4564”]
yes, those are old Coralife Ballasts. ESU. The T size on bulbs refers to their diameter in 1/8 inches. T5 is 5/8". T8 is 8/8" or one inch, T12 is 12/8" or one and a half inch diameter bulb. thats all. The output level is indicated by NO normal output which runs at 400 milliamps, HO high output at 800 milliamps and VHO 1500 milliamps to the bulb at the matching wattage for the bulb length.  So you can find replacement ballasts everywhere.Â

here is a great close out deal on Ice Cap old stock 175 electronic MH ballasts. Coralvue bought Icecap and will still service them.Â
http://www.hellolights.com/icecapelectronicballast175w.aspx[/quote]

The 6 prongs connections wont work with electronic ballasts i was told…as most of them are 3 prong…the ballast used in that box is a M57. As far as the fluoros i was told a vho retro kit would do…but then again as many people as I called today nobody really seemed sure of what they were telling me. Im getting the feeling this fixture isn’t worth the hassle. Just figured since it was free ill give it a shot.

After some thought I’ve decided to take the fixture apart and rewire it to run 2 250 MH and T5. Im ganoing to use a kit for the fluoros but as far as the halides im not sure. I was thinking a dual 250w electronic ballast. Anyone have another suggestion?