My nano/clown themed tank

Did they eat other stars in your system Jason? like brittles? is there any other negatives with them, and do they get along with other shrimp?
I’ve always liked them, and was recently reading something (forgot where BoNg) about training them to eat frozen starfish pieces… anybody ever hear about luck with that?

The harlequin is in the 10 gallon, my larger system is a breeding ground for the little stars, I am manually adding them to the small tank so I can keep an eye on population. Worst case I might need to buy a few bigger stars.

He got along just fine with a skunk cleaner shrimp. They didn’t even notice each other but then again, it was a 90 gallon tank. He mostly kept to one side and the skunk cleaner kept to the other.

I didn’t have any bristle stars but I did have a nice red starfish that I had to sump. Once the harly decimated, rather completely irradicated the asternia starfsh population, I give him to chris and barb. I didn’t want to do the chocolate starfish thing and I knew they’d give him a good home. I don’t think he survived long in chris and barb’s display though.

Need a weekly update!

[quote=“RCA, post:24, topic:4713”]
Need a weekly update![/quote]

Ok, a few updates but no new pictures, have been busy with the bigger tank and had to catch a nasty lobster thats been killing my fish. Finally took apart my tank and got him out.
IMG_1449 by DMITCHELL1985, on Flickr

In terms of the small tank, I added a few hairy emerald crabs, a peppermint shrimp this week. The harlequin shrimp is still doing great and found a nice home right in front of the tank so I can easily see him. The peppermint shrimp has alot of personality and likes to stay out in the open as well, the crabs are eating all the macro algae I have in the tank, just hoping they dont start to attack/eat the mangrove roots.

The 2 clowns are doing great, they are eating pellets and frozen food right out of my hand, its pretty neat. They are also starting to show signs of pairing, they are swimming real close and rubbing their bodies together.

I will take some photos when I get a chance, and figure out my new DSLR.

::thumbsup:: what kind of camera did you get?

do you have any leaves on your mangroves yet?

[quote=“saltcreep, post:26, topic:4713”]
::thumbsup:: what kind of camera did you get?[/quote]

I picked up a Canon Rebel XS, It was part of a trade that worked in my favor, not the best but better then the phone.

[quote=“moliken, post:27, topic:4713”]
do you have any leaves on your mangroves yet?[/quote]

No leaves, the roots have grown to almost 2 inches, which seems like good growth but no signs of leaves, I wonder if I have enough excess nutrients in the water for them to thrive now, seems like the tank has adjusted to the increased bio load.

[quote author=hondacbr600rr link=topic=5296.msg54254#msg54254 date=1320975286]

[quote=“saltcreep, post:26, topic:4713”]
::thumbsup:: what kind of camera did you get?[/quote]

I picked up a Canon Rebel XS, It was part of a trade that worked in my favor, not the best but better then the phone.

thats a good camera ::thumbsup::

Thanks, certainly not easy to get great shots with, but it takes practice, just need to spend some time with it.

They probably need more bright light. remember they live at shiny sea level near the equator. lots of bright light.

[quote=“kaptken, post:31, topic:4713”]
They probably need more bright light. remember they live at shiny sea level near the equator. lots of bright light.[/quote]. Thanks, i will look into that.

Here are a few new photos and updates, the clowns are about 178 days old now. They both are doing great and are still the only fish in the tank. They are super social and will eat right out of my fingers. They like to host the hob filter, no nems for now until the tank is older and decide on proper lighting.

The mangroves have not started to produce leaves yet but they are still growing new roots at a pretty good rate, 2 pods have not shown any signs of growth and actually turned black, so I will be removing them since I believe they are dead.

Enjoy.

IMG_0002 by DMITCHELL1985, on Flickr

IMG_0004 by DMITCHELL1985, on Flickr

IMG_0007 by DMITCHELL1985, on Flickr

IMG_0008 by DMITCHELL1985, on Flickr

IMG_0012 by DMITCHELL1985, on Flickr

IMG_3236 by DMITCHELL1985, on Flickr

IMG_3251 by DMITCHELL1985, on Flickr

IMG_3258 by DMITCHELL1985, on Flickr

IMG_3262 by DMITCHELL1985, on Flickr