Need another worm ID.. maybe?

Ok, so I decided to take a quick look at the tank this evening/early morning before I went to bed… First thing I noticed was that the little crab that hijacked his way into my tank on a piece of Dr. Macs live rock, is still alive and well. I cant tell what kind he is, but I NEVER see him during the day and he is pretty small… maybe 1/2" from tip to tip. He is also very skittish so it is hard to get a picture of him.

The second thing I noticed, actually kind of scares me a little bit. I almost want to not stick my hands in the water anymore after seeing this thing… what do you all think it is?

Sorry for the larger than normal pic, but i wanted you all to get a good look at this one… i have never seen it during the day. this is the first night I have seen it, but I can’t imagine it just showed up. I would estimate that it is about 3/8" in diameter not counting the ‘fingers’ that stick off of it…

Billy

P.S. Yea… I know BJ… more wierd stuff in my tank…

P.S.S. If you want a larger picture, I have one. I can upload it to photobucket and post a link to it. Just let me know…

Im not nearly as good at these ids as some of the other guys but it looks like an anemone to me. Looks a lot like your basic aipstasia except for the coloring, but im pretty sure there are different color morphs.

well, it’s snot really as good a pic as you think. i can barely see it. But i will say, i have 3 or 4 Acro corals that have hitch hiker crabs that have lived in and cleaned the coral for up to 6 years now. They are often acro crabs that live in, clean and protect their host coral from danger. and stuff. nice little critters. but in the rock, I can’t say. we all like to get freebie miscelaneous life forms with our rock and coral. and then have to sort out the undesireable ones. THe bad ones that eat our prized corals, wont last long. as their food supply either soon runs out, or we spot their bad feeding habit and remove them. so the more critters, the merry-er,…~~~???

[quote=“logans_daddy, post:2, topic:1779”]
Looks a lot like your basic aipstasia[/quote]

+1

It was just odd that after I took about 2 or 3 pictures, this thing dissappeared down into the crevice in the rock. I have also never seen it during the day. Not that that matters a whole lot. If it comes out during the day, I will try to get a picture of it. The pic that I posted was with a high intensity LED flashlight pointed on it, because the tank and room was absolutely dark.

Also, the ‘head’ of this thing is the same diameter as the body. Most of the pictures I had looked breifly this morning, after reading the responses, the head of aiptasia was considerably larger than the body, or it had little to no body at all. If it ever comes out during the day, I will get a better picture of it.

Billy

Looks like an aptasia with most of its body shoved into the rock.

On another note…you AM posters need to get some sleep!

[quote=“IanH, post:6, topic:1779”]
Looks like an aptasia with most of its body shoved into the rock.

On another note…you AM posters need to get some sleep![/quote]

Sleep? With all this cool stuff happening in my tank?? NO WAY!!

Maybe not aptasia, but I would defiantly go with a small anemone of some sort. We have one that is similar in Kel’s little tank. Its mainly nocturnal, and doesn’t really get any larger or spread.

u know, i had two of those things, and i had my brother take a look at it (who is a reef geek to the 10th degree) and he said it was some sort of sun coral. at least thats what i think he said. does it have little “bubbles” on the tips? if so, i think thats what it is. i cant be too sure though.

oh and here is a really good id site if you still have any questions on new critters!

they id it as a “hard coral” but yet they arent hard >LOCO<

[quote=“ihuntinde, post:1, topic:1779”]
P.S. Yea… I know BJ… more wierd stuff in my tank…[/quote]
no need 4 comment then… lOl lOl

[quote=“matchu627, post:10, topic:1779”]
they id it as a “hard coral” but yet they arent hard >LOCO<[/quote]
“hard” corals r called “hard” because of the calcerous skeletons they form. where soft corals do not…
like sun corals for example have a hard skeletons that r built as the coral grows… it’s whats left when it dies.

oh, so basically its an lps with a base that u cant really see?

[quote=“IanH, post:6, topic:1779”]
On another note…you AM posters need to get some sleep![/quote]

Yes.