new addition to my tank

just my :TWOCENTS

but i think the “hobby industry” probably buys bulk nori from the asian market, does some fancy packaging of a small portion… and makes a 1000% profit being a middle-man… same thing as most alkalinity buffers, most are $10 for 10 cents worth of baking soda…
I’m all about supporting locally, but i hate getting middled.

hahaha, but honestly i’ve only bought nori from my lfs… i only give it to them about once a week, so it does last a looooong time…

Since we’re on the nori topic what’s better green, brown, or red. Someone told me green was the least nutritious? I felt smoke in an unusual place lol ::bs:: when I heard it.

Mama said … mama said,variety is the spice of life…

[quote=“saltcreep, post:23, topic:4926”]
Mama said … mama said,variety is the spice of life…[/quote]

+1, but for some reason my fish like the red and brown better and not much for the green.

[quote=“reefman66, post:24, topic:4926”]
+1, but for some reason my fish like the red and brown better and not much for the green.[/quote]

WOW! What brand of red? I have offered red to many species and typically VERY piggy eaters have… reluctantly ate it if nothing else was offered at the same time. I kind of think the fish think of red as I think of broccoli on my plate. It is something I’ll eat if I have to, but rather go for other tastier things first. Which animals do you have that like red over green?

I really agree with John(saltcreep) that variety is good. Yesterday I gave my tang and a fox face some red and didn’t offer anything else so they would eat something different. I don’t believe the foxface ever ate it. My animals primarily like green and do ok with purple and brown. I mixed it up though.

Small quantities though, this stuff is packed with nutrients. It is best to offer less of it more often versus a large quantity. If I am going to be working on a tank for 3 hours I’ll offer tiny little bits over and over again while I’m working.

[quote=“saltcreep, post:21, topic:4926”]
but i think the “hobby industry” probably buys bulk nori from the asian market, does some fancy packaging of a small portion… and makes a 1000% profit being a middle-man… same thing as most alkalinity buffers, most are $10 for 10 cents worth of baking soda…[/quote]

I agree and disagree with this. I hate getting “middle” as well. You have no idea how often I have to work with wholesale companies that are in California buying from East coast manufacturers who don’t know ANYTHING about the product at all.
Just yesterday I baked some baking soda in my home. I trust food grade arm and hammer baking soda and they offer products with other additives in them, but keep their old school classic stuff pure.(I also know three different chemist that trust arm and hammer as well) It is possible some of the large manufacturers who have been bought up by the big companies in the industry do buy bulk nori.
That being said I trust Julian Sprung. The guy spends large amount of time speaking for little clubs(some you may have heard of) and doing a lot of other things for the hobby. I don’t believe he would ever lie and I have heard right from him, in a personal conversation, where he gets his algae from.

TLF doesn’t sell brown, so I have tried a couple different brands of that, but green and purple from TLF are more of the staple for the veggy eaters in my basement.

Jon, I get my seaweeds from Asian store. They have all kinds red, brown, green you name it and even other kind of seaweed.

I have 2 tangs in the tank one is the sailfin which I have for over 8 years now (the pig)that perfer the red. And other fish they all seems to pick at any seaweed i put in the tank.